3D Drafting Software for Mac?

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is anyone using simple, inexpensive 3D / 2D software for Mac out there?

I have tried Sketchup, which is free from Google, but I am finding it a PIA and isn't really meant for this. If I am incorrect, school me! I just want to draw a relatively simple part graphically composed of a number of cylinders in relation to each other. It is going to be a piece of steel round with a bored out section that is offset from the center of the outside round surface. I wish I could draw it for you, but I need software!! :)

I used AutoCad 15 years ago, but don't have it now, can't remember it anyway, and can't justify the cost.

Thanks Folks

Bernie

I use SketchUp extensively and while I find that it is very practical and versatile it is somewhat very different than CAD software in the sense of the work process is very different.

that said, it can be made to work, but from my experience - people that know CAD have the hardest time working with SketchUp since they feel it should be similar and try to incorporate CAD techniques into SU (SketchUp) which usually doesn't work too well.

SU is designed with a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) concept in mind is is aimed at intuitive approach as opposed to proper graphical design (like CAD). some designs can be achieved with SU in a very simplistic way once you 'get it'

That said - there is also a free CAD type (2D only for free version) software for Mac called DraftSight: http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/

I have an older Mac (G4/G5 - not an intel) and I found this software to be seriously slow and laggy (also on a Linux and newer PC). YMMV

P.S. - if you ever need SketchUp assistance, let me know

Sharon- I really appreciate your help!

Dan is hooking me up, and has been drawing it up for me.

But I do need to find an app to draw. I just want the basics- to be able to draw a component to a certain dimension, modify it, and add to it.

I couldn't seem to do that. I am sure I was doing something wrong, but didn't find it easily google-able!! Hah

Thanks for the other link- I will check it out tonight!

Bernie

I use SketchUp extensively and while I find that it is very practical and versatile it is somewhat very different than CAD software in the sense of the work process is very different.

that said, it can be made to work, but from my experience - people that know CAD have the hardest time working with SketchUp since they feel it should be similar and try to incorporate CAD techniques into SU (SketchUp) which usually doesn't work too well.

SU is designed with a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) concept in mind is is aimed at intuitive approach as opposed to proper graphical design (like CAD). some designs can be achieved with SU in a very simplistic way once you 'get it'

That said - there is also a free CAD type (2D only for free version) software for Mac called DraftSight: http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/

I have an older Mac (G4/G5 - not an intel) and I found this software to be seriously slow and laggy (also on a Linux and newer PC). YMMV

P.S. - if you ever need SketchUp assistance, let me know

Are you using free SketchUP? I tried it awhile ago a gave up on it.

The answer depends somewhat on your definition of inexpensive. AutoCad is available for Mac, but I'll assume the cost is prohibitive.

Imho, Sketchup is actually very efficient and powerful to work with once you get to know it, but compared to "real" CAD programs, it obviously lacks a lot of features.

I'm currently trying to decide if Autodesk Inventor Fusion or Rhino3D will become my own replacement for Sketchup on Mac. Both are currently free, and both will eventually cost real $$$. Best guess is that Inventor Fusion will be around $400, and Rhino3D will be roughly the same as the Windows version.

Inventor Fusion borrows a lot from the real "Inventor" and is the closest thing I've found to a "real" CAD program on Mac. For one thing it's got constraints and dimensions.

Rihno3D is a surface modeller so it's conceptually different from a traditional CAD program, but that also means that many things can be accomplished very quickly in Rhino3D. It's also awesome for making models for 3D printing.

However, I do think that both Inventor Fusion and Rhino3D are a lot like Sketchup in that they are also push-pull modellers to a large extent, so better learn to like it :)

I expect I'll eventually decide on Rhino3D even though it will eventually cost real $$$. The product road map for Inventor Fusion is rather uncertain so the time-investment in Rhino3D seems much safer. Since I work as a freelancer, to me this investment will be many times greater than the monetary cost of the license itself, and I rarely need the benefits inherent in a parametric modeller. Also, the utter lack of keyboard shortcuts in Inventor Fusion is a real deal breaker.

Thanks Staandbyguard-

I like SketchUp a few years ago, but wasn't using it for this type of thing.
I am sure it is great, but I am just finding it Beverly hard to find the instructions and options for the tools etc, and basic instructions.

I am really trying to do pretty basic things with cylindrical shapes, boring them out, etc.
if I knew how in SketchUp it would probably do what I needed.

Bernie

Bernie,

I'm not sure how much you like messing with computers but, you can run "virtual machine" software on a MAC (or any other computer) and run any software on it you want. It works pretty darn well without a performance penalty. This way, you can keep your MAC and run Windows software. I do this at work on many types of platforms. If you're interested in going this route, let me know and I'll recommend the proper VM software.

Ray

Bernie,

I'm not sure how much you like messing with computers but, you can run "virtual machine" software on a MAC (or any other computer) and run any software on it you want. It works pretty darn well without a performance penalty. This way, you can keep your MAC and run Windows software. I do this at work on many types of platforms. If you're interested in going this route, let me know and I'll recommend the proper VM software.

Ray

Thanks so much Ray- I am on the Mac all the time, and have been for years working in the photo industry. All digital for about 15 years now.

I have run "Virtual PC" in the past, and it worked fine, but don't have a current copy. I actually have a few old PC laptops in the shop, in a box, waiting for me to CNC the Sherline :) ... Maybe I should dig one out and see if it still works after a few years of storage?!!

Bernie

Back