3D printed cross feed nut!

There's nothing wrong with polymer threads, in applications like this they are very good.
A more rigid housing for the thread is a good idea, with the polymer just taking the feed load and not that of the mounting.
Those who have not yet 3D printed any parts themselves, or used any well printed parts, are unfortunately not qualified to judge this ;-)

My problem with plastic is just that. It's plastic, people used to say nasty things about Chinese products with plastic. Now with 3-D printers available, everyone can produce cheap parts at will and add to the worlds pollution woes.
I have made a couple of cross feed nuts for my Atlas 618 out of brass, i bought a single pass acme tap and it could not be easier.

My problem with plastic is just that. It's plastic, people used to say nasty things about Chinese products with plastic. Now with 3-D printers available, everyone can produce cheap parts at will and add to the worlds pollution woes.
I have made a couple of cross feed nuts for my Atlas 618 out of brass, i bought a single pass acme tap and it could not be easier.

Not quite as simple for me, as I would need to mill (or find someone to do it for me) part of the 'nut'. Although, I guess with care and patience I could use files and get it where I needed it.

And... Sheldon used a LH 1/2 8tpi thread, instead of the 1/2 10 like many others. So... finding the right tap is more difficult. There is one on ebay, however it states it is "Acme modified square thread"... is this just an acme thread? Or is it yet another variation of thread?

https://www.ebay.com/i/302385680816?chn=ps&dispItem=1

mmmm, how long do you think it ill hold up for?
A good use of a 3d printer might be to make a taper wiper... to clean mt and r8 tapers
nuts, of pl1, I just don't think it will hold up.

It may not, and for the moment I have my lathe up and running. Now, once I have some time on the lathe, I can make a brass/bronze/cast one for myself.

I thought maybe printing a bronze leadscrew nut through Shapeways might be the best of both worlds. I didn't upload a cad file to check price, but just eyeballing equivalent weight items, it would be pretty spendy. Its not 'real' bronze as in alloy stock, its some kind of sintered process, but might be acceptable. I've heard specialty taps for larger leadscrew pitches can be spendy though too. So ya, if a person has the ability to thread his own from barstock, probably the best option, but only if the original nut is still serviceable in the lathe. The old chicken & egg thing! LOL

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=bronze&facet[materialGroupId]=7

Back