3D Printed File Handles

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i developed a couple designs for 3d printed file handles after winning an auction for 6 pristine, 6" NOS mill files.
the handles are simple and contain 35% plastic, printed standing on end.
each handle takes about 45 minutes on my Ender5
without further delay, the photographic evidence!

i used the brim setting for attachment to the plate. it left a slight rim on the handle, that looks fuzzy.

IMG_4230.jpg
IMG_4231.jpg

the first design is tapered, the second design (not pictured) is a straight handle.

i'll be testing the handles over the coming weeks.
on preliminary tests, the handles appear to be tough enough for my heavy hands!

thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Coincidently I just watched ToT's latest video on his new 3D printer.
Those look good, I've always wondered about the ability for the plastic to hold together as it's laid down. I'll be curious to know how these survive.

Coincidently I just watched ToT's latest video on his new 3D printer.
Those look good, I've always wondered about the ability for the plastic to hold together as it's laid down. I'll be curious to know how these survive.
the plastic bonds well, but not perfectly every time.
the higher percentage of infill grants tougher parts, but there are limits.
i tried to make the dimensions thicker than they need to be, to avoid early demise.
let the testing begin!!!! :grin big:

I like to test when I change rolls. I have a little test part that prints in about 5 minutes. I then use pliers to break it. If it tears along the layer lines, print it again with +5C extruder temp until it snaps across layers at least some of the time. The layers are the weakest point, but they can bond well with the right temp settings.

Might try this for a tighter fit.
When I salvaged all those old screwdriver handles back when, I drilled them out and them reamed them out using a 1/2 hand reamer.
The angle is very close to the tang on a file.
Heat the tang up a bit and press on the handle. None of the ones I've done up have come loose - yet...

1600016799185.png

I like to test when I change rolls. I have a little test part that prints in about 5 minutes. I then use pliers to break it. If it tears along the layer lines, print it again with +5C extruder temp until it snaps across layers at least some of the time. The layers are the weakest point, but they can bond well with the right temp settings.
What does that test part look like? I am curious.

i developed a couple designs for 3d printed file handles after winning an auction for 6 pristine, 6" NOS mill files.
the handles are simple and contain 35% plastic.
each handle takes about 45 minutes on my Ender5
without further delay, the photographic evidence!

i used the brim setting for attachment to the plate. it left a slight rim on the handle, that looks fuzzy.

View attachment 336725 View attachment 336726

the first design is tapered, the second design (not pictured) is a straight handle.

i'll be testing the handles over the coming weeks.
on preliminary tests, the handles appear to be tough enough for my heavy hands!

thanks for reading!

You could stand the part on end (flat end of course) and that would eliminate that bed bonding mark. Of course the layers will be 90* to what they currently are, which may or may not affect strength.
What polymer did you use?

What does that test part look like? I am curious.

Not my design, but it's been a handy thing to have around.

^^^^ Oh yes, I have seen that little doohickey. Very useful print. I had forgot about that considering I seem to have 10 zillion other things floating around in my brain...

You could stand the part on end (flat end of course) and that would eliminate that bed bonding mark. Of course the layers will be 90* to what they currently are, which may or may not affect strength.
What polymer did you use?
these prototypes were printed standing on the flat end with a brim bonding the print down!
thanks though! :)

i used PLA by SUNLU

Back