3D printed knobs for drill press quill handle.....

brino,
Just a thought, print the handles with a hole large enough to glue in a threaded sleeve.
1520620344382.png

This way it's a bit more reinforced.

Mark

Just a thought, print the handles with a hole large enough to glue in a threaded sleeve.........................This way it's a bit more reinforced.

Hi Mark,
I know I have seen metal threaded inserts that are meant to be used with 3D printed objects.
The ones I saw used were simply "set" into the plastic with a soldering iron.
I have meant to pick some up to have on have, but have not explored that yet.
-brino

Very interesting. I have a few threaded inserts for wood, but I had not thought to look for ones for plastic. The McMaster Carr video shows these go in quick and easily. I may have to get some. Another option is a nut and epoxy.

Could you print the threads right into it?

My cheap one had 3 files with it when i got it. One was for a spool holder. Just a hollow pipe threaded on each end and a nut for each end.
Having no idea what the files were when I went about printing one of the files.
Thought the thing was not working right when it started.
It printed threads on each end of the pipe and in the nuts. As it makes the external thread it looks like it is making a mistake.
Pretty coarse threads and loose fitting. Not sure if it would work or be strong enough for the drill press.

Nice job Brino! Any luck in trying to a polish/smooth shine on PLA?...Dave

Any luck in trying to a polish/smooth shine on PLA?

Actually, Dave I have never tried it.

....but I did have this happen:
To tap the threads, I put the knob in the vise in a rag to avoid jaw marks.
At one point the tap caught and the knob spun and stuck real well to that rag.
Apparently this plastic will flow with heat.....who knew?

Anyhow that one knob has a little "rash" on it....but not worth re-printing.

I suspect any polishing attempt would have to keep the friction heat down.

-brino

Last edited:
Nice job Brino! Any luck in trying to a polish/smooth shine on PLA?...Dave

I tried on this horseshoe cell phone stand.

The horizontal surface at the bottom was easy to make smoother, it was already almost smooth.

The angled horseshoes were not changed much by wiping with the same acetone wetted paper towel. I expect I could have melted the PLA eventually, but this may not have been what I would consider a "controlled smoothing".

The chambers with acetone atmosphere may work better but I am not sure. "Murphy" seems to have more control than I have.

Horseshoe_cell_phone_stand_cleaned_up_angle_8610.jpg

Nice! I grew a knob to replace a missing thumbscrew on a saw guard that's been missing for years. I just designed in a hex cavity the same nominal dimensions as the hex head of the bolt I used. Then heated the bolt with a propane torch and sunk it into the plastic. Worked great. In fact, I grew a half dozen of the knobs since it was a small part. Meanwhile, I was designing a carriage stop to grow for my lathe. Since I had 5 knobs left over, I decided to use them on the screw for the carriage stop also. It's basically the same except the screw is longer. Made a few of them, and I still have a couple of knobs left over, looking for a project.

Even if you can grow accurate threads, it's not worth the effort to model them. It's a significant PITA in most CAD softwares. Heat sinking or tapping is the way to go. I think you would have to chase grown threads anyway to clean them up.

I've been exclusively using ABS. From what I had read previously, I thought it would stink like a burning tire or something. I've found it isn't that bad- if I stick my nose in there and sniff it, it isn't pleasant, but it certainly doesn't stink up the whole house, or even the whole workshop.

I built a plywood enclosure to hold the entire printer. it looks like a rough-built entertainment center. My workshop in the cellar is usually around 50F. I keep the door closed normally to protect the printer from dust, and print with the door open out of concern I could overheat the printer electronics. I've had no issues with ABS printing at all.

-Ed

Back