3D printed Sheldon cross feed nut..

Ststephen7

Registered
Registered
OK… here it is… my new cross feed nut arrived today! It looks an exact match for the original, other than the hole in the original is off center (as you can see in one of the pictures).

I told Dennis at FDM prints (FDMprints@gmail.com) that I had almost a half turn of backlash. I sent along the screw so he could make the nut fit as well as possible. The screw, of course, has the most wear in the center, so the new nut is pretty tight at the ends, and perfect in the middle of the screw. He also made a 3D printed change gear to replace a stripped formica/fiber gear.

2 things... I have no affiliation with Dennis or his company. In my limited experience I feel he did a great job with both the gear and the nut; he is very easy to work with, very affordable, and relatively quick turnaround. And... He would not tell me what the gear or nut is made from, so... I cannot help you there.

My backlash is now less than 0.003… which I think is perfect.

Once I get some time under my belt perhaps I’ll attempt to make myself a new cross feed screw.

I'm planning to post this in several forums/categories, as I think a lot of people might be interested in hearing about a 3D printed cross feed nut. It that is not OK either delete them, or ask me to, and I will oblige.

Steve

IMG_3359.JPGIMG_3355.JPG

What did the nut cost to have made ? Have Any life expectancy estimate , do you use oil on it ?.

Last edited:
Back