3D Printed Tooling Tray for Wohlhaupter Boring Head

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When I got my UPA3 boring head it was second hand from ebay, and whilst it was boxed, it was missing several parts and the tray that kept them together inside the box. I've replace the missing boring bars etc, and was going to make a new tray out of MDF... but then I thought why the hell mess around with that nasty stuff, when you've got 3D printer and your mic boxes came out OK? :D

Every time I design and print something I'm blown away by how damn convenient it is. :)

IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg
wohlhupter tray v2.jpg

It wasn't quite so nice when I got it... ;)

It was dirty and stuff full of rubbish, missing the reducing collars for smaller diameter boring bars, an attachment on the top for the rod that you hold when facing and the rod itself plus one of the extension rods had been cut down.

Also, the original boring bars with holes broached for hss inserts had been completely butchered by someone sharpening the HSS whilst in the bar and catching it on the grinding wheel. Looked like a dull beaver had been munching on them. It also had an INT30 taper on it.

I stripped and cleaned it, took the old taper off and mounted an R8, made replacement parts and collars, and got some inserted boring bars. It works like a charm - I was worried it might be too big for my benchtop mill, but it’s just right.

Nice job. Can you give me the #'s of the boring bars? I been looking for those. Thank you.

Just curious as to what 3d printer you have? Excellent job. My son has a Creality Ender 3....and is becoming a little entrepreneur..as he's selling little figure-ens the kids want!

DrAsus

Back