3d Printer Saves the Day

jlmanatee

Registered
Registered
I needed to use my Dremel tool after not using it for like 4 years. It broke after about a minute. There's a plastic coupler inside between the collet and the motor shaft that had completely disintegrated. I was all ready to order a new part, about $7 on Amazon, when I wondered if anyone had already made one with their 3d printer. I checked Thingverse and sure enough someone had created a print file. I downloaded it, sliced it with Cura, started the print with Pronterface and 12 minutes later I had a new part. The Dremel is working great! I'm impressed. :D

I have used my 3D printer for a TON of stuff. Just made some mounts for a shop vac cyclone for example. Those mounts didn't work as I thought they would, but that is the beauty of 3D printing. Back to the CAD for another iteration.

Just checked myself. There are tons of things to print out for the Dremel tool!

Nice! I like a few of them right on the front page, like the little plastic fan to blow debris away, or the mini tablesaw. I own a Proxxon so none of this will work, but I could whip it up in Solidworks.

nice work @jlmanatee !

i use the 3d printer to prototype all kinds of stuff.
there is only the limit of the imagination
i'm currently trying to mimic an elbow for the intake of a honda motorcycle, just for fun :grin:

For anyone looking at printing the drill bit sharpener for the Dremel: don't. The orientation is wrong and the leg is too tall on the 135* and too short on the 90*. I do like the concept though; neat idea to give the cutting edge on a small drill a quick lick. Gonna try to designing one with more appropriate angles and which uses the grinding stone instead of the cutoff wheel attachment.

Wow, well, damn 3D printers are really awesome, I thank the person for inventing it, the world has become much easier with 3D printers))

Back