3D Printer

Gadget

Active User
Registered
I've spent the last few weeks making a 3D print head for my CNC table. The table will now do routing/ light milling/ plasma cutting/ hot wire foam cutting/ and now 3D printing. I used the 2BEIGH3 print head instructions on instructables.com and found the setup fairly easy. The hardest part was configuring LinuxCNC for a linear 4th axis. No small feat but with their forum help I got through it.
This video is the second attempt at printing. It's just a shallow tray to test the calibration of the extruder.

[video=youtube_share;hRyJybyU3lk]http://youtu.be/hRyJybyU3lk[/video]

Last edited:
Excelent! I have been contemplating a similar project recently. What software are you using to generate the gcode?

Excelent! I have been contemplating a similar project recently. What software are you using to generate the gcode?

I'm using slic3r to generate the GCode from a STL file, it works pretty well for me. I use LinuxCNC on the CNC table. It took some work to get it configured for a linear 4th axis but I finally got it. I can help with it now if you should need it. The 4th axis by default is angular for a rotary table.
Here's a link to the complete 3D printer plans. I just used the extruder and hot end components.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Combination-CNC-Machine-and-3D-Printer/

Just looked at the video. Are you printing nylon? It will be a while before I get to mine in any case, as I have a couple other projects in the queue. Good to see it's possible though ;)

Just looked at the video. Are you printing nylon? It will be a while before I get to mine in any case, as I have a couple other projects in the queue. Good to see it's possible though ;)

Yes that's .105 nylon string trimmer line. The 2BEIGH3 extruder and hot end is designed to use nylon. It will also use the other plastics as well. Nylon makes a tough part and depending on the density it can be either flexible or hard when done. Nylon printed gears and friction surfaces also don't need lubrication. That's a big plus. I'm running about 263C for the temp on the extruder for nylon.

I printed another part today. This was just to see if I could print it, it's an endless knot. It actually printed pretty good. I'm using a low res tip right now but it still looks pretty good. It isn't any good for anything other than conversation but it was fun to watch it print. Satisfying too.

GEDC0167.JPG

GEDC0167.JPG View attachment 95374

that seems to be working pretty well gadget
steve

3D Printer update

I printed this today. It's a 48 tooth XL belt pulley. I'm going to switch my CNC table to belt drive. Material is nylon.

GEDC0037.JPG GEDC0038.JPG

Since my last reply I've found OpenScad. There are a lot of OpenScad files for creating your own gears and timing pulleys. Just change the variables to what you want and it generates the part. from there you can export as an STL file and use Slic3r to create the GCode. There's even a plug in for the free version of Google Sketchup that will create gears and export as STL.

Back