3D Printers

I know quite a few guys into the 3d stuff. Most went with the Monoprice MP Select Mini 3D Printer, V1 and some got the V2. Very good reviews from all my buds on that one, especially for the price.

+1 on this recommendation.

I am kinda stuck in a circle of indecision. I don't know enough about them to know what I want, and there's too many to choose from.

IMO, spend as little as possible to get your feet wet and see if you like 3D printing or not (just saw a monoprice email advertising a refurb version of this model on sale for $143). That way you don't have to overthink it too much and you have some money left over to buy a better machine later when you know more.

Whatever you buy, keep in mind they all need some degree of tuning, and that is an ongoing process. There's definitely some art to getting good prints and patience/perseverance is required (of course, that's where you learn something!)

Also, its good to get a popular unit for your first printer since you can find answers online in the support communities. Good luck!

+1 on this recommendation.

IMO, spend as little as possible to get your feet wet and see if you like 3D printing or not (just saw a monoprice email advertising a refurb version of this model on sale for $143). That way you don't have to overthink it too much and you have some money left over to buy a better machine later when you know more.

Whatever you buy, keep in mind they all need some degree of tuning, and that is an ongoing process. There's definitely some art to getting good prints and patience/perseverance is required (of course, that's where you learn something!)

Also, its good to get a popular unit for your first printer since you can find answers online in the support communities. Good luck!
+2 on the MP mini. My brother, who is sole purpose on earth is to master 3d printing, has one and is very happy with it for the price.

But as Dr pointed out, and it's especially true on the cheaper printers, things need a good calibration when you get them and as routine maintenance.

I find it interesting that people don't mention the Prusa printers. I have one and absolutely love it. They just came out with the Mk3 version which has features that you will not find even on printers costing 3 times as much..
Another reason that I purchased a Prusa is because Joseph (Prusa) has put a lot of time and effort into the 3D arena, and I wanted to support him. In exchange, they provide incredible support for you if you have an issue and have actually bought a genuine Prusa printer. The only way to do that BTW is buy from their store. If you buy it from somewhere else, it is a clone, which there are hundreds out there of his machine. He is the Granddaddy of RepRap too.

For the money, you just can't beat it in my opinion.

Original Prusa I3 Mk3

yeah the new MK3 looks super nice. Missed step detection? sign me up!

It uses an 8bit Rambo board... I would be more interested if it was using duetWifi electronics. It is 32 bit (which I admit is probably not necessary for a Cartesian printer) and a second to none web interface..... I found octoprint clunky compared to the interface provided by the duet.

It's also 1000 dollars for a smallish print area with limited options for enclosure...

It looks like they closed shop. I would get an prussa i3 for my first printer. They are a lot easier to calibrate than deltas.

This looks like an interesting i3 kit

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/flsun-3d-metal-frame-prusa-i3-diy-kit

It uses an 8bit Rambo board...

It's also 1000 dollars for a smallish print area with limited options for enclosure...

I.e. Your first quote above. That is a clone, not a genuine Prusa printer. There is literally only one place you can buy a Prusa, and that is from the Prusa company in Prague. There are hundreds of clones that use the Prusa name.

Look at this link. Tom's hardware. He is one of the best guys out there for knowledgeable reviews and insights.

And finally, the cost of the kit is $750 for the Mk3. $599 for the Mk2s, which in my opinion can't be beat from a price vs performance ratio.

I almost bought a CR-10 and I am so glad I didn't.

The clone cost me $350 if I include the e3d upgrade I bought for it with dual extrusion... It's a nice entry level printer, a lot less than 750 plus upgrades to get to dual extrusion for a hobby you may not like.

Plus, it teaches you a lot about 3D printing....

My point is get a cheap printer as your first printer, and with so many Prussa clones, it makes sense to start there.

Last edited:
What was wrong with the cr-10? The z-stability and hot end would be my major guesses.

For me, one of the biggest issues was support. Am I going to actually get one when I pay for it? Lots of folks had paid Gearbest or whomever for their CR-10, only to be stuck in limbo, and then have to try and get their money back.

Heated bed on the Prusa. Not that the CR-10 doesn't have one, it is just that the Prusa's heated bed is just that, the bed and the PEI coating (tape, albiet one homogeneous layer). No glass plate in the middle to mess with. I had worked with a SUPER early Lulzbot (Ao-101) which was an expensive machine in its day. The heated bed on the Lulzbot sucked in my opinion, and I when examined pictures of the CR-10, it appeared to have the same bed system.
Z system. With a build area that big, not sure how they get the accuracy that they claim with only one side driven.
The hot end on the Prusa is pretty much ready set go. It will print almost anything you can throw at it, although I have only printed PLA and PETG. Both stuck to the PEI beautifully with no "juice" treatment. The Prusa has bed (actually head) adjustability that will just make you smile. I printed a 4 square pattern on my Prusa, carefully examined the print, and could level the bed by a 20 or 30 microns to really dial it in. Maybe you can do that on the CR-10 but I doubt it.
As I mentioned before, support was a big issue for me, and part of the support that is "baked in" to the Prusa is the Prusa Control software and Slicr Prusa edition. Both have the Prusa printer integrated into the slicing program and I will have to say it works pretty much flawlessly. In fact, when I first started using PrusaControl, I felt there wan't enought options/settings to give me control, but I quickly found out that I really did not need to mess with the settings hardly at all because the Prusa team already had them dialed in to the program. And yet, if you want to, you can fire up Slicr Prusa edition and it will give you a lot of control over your printing.

The two things that I do like about the CR-10 is print size and the linear roller bearing system that they have for their axis movement. Prusa uses LM8UU linear bearings, and I personally do not think that they are very good quality at all. Sure, they work, but it is louder than it should nor needs to be. One final nudge for me towards the Prusa was the fact that my daughter's future brother-in-law has four 3D printers. Two of them are Makerbot Replicator+'s and the other is a Prusa. He told me he wished he would have just bought the Prusa due to ease of use, and cost vs performance ratio.

I am sure that the CR-10 works great for a lot of people. I am just really happy that I went with the Genuine Prusa i3. I will be doing the upgrade to the 2.5 here shortly.

Prusa vs. CR-10

Here is a reader's comment from the video below. Not mine but ...LOL
"cr-10 takes all from the reprap community and gives nothing back. They are a parasite. Prusa ontinues to add to the reprap community"
Prusa i3 Mk2 and the CR-10

Makerbot is probably worse than any chinese firm regarding supporting the 3d printing community. They are the patent trolls of the 3d prining community. Creality is a cost-leader and Prussa Is a technology-leader.

An i3 with linear raises would be interesting ^_^

Creality added a belt on both sides of the z axis now.

Back