3D printing treading gears

Matthias

Registered
Registered
Hi,

Is there someone who have the plans for the metric change gears for a Southband 9" lathe.
I want to print these gears but don't have all the specs, nor do I have the software.

Thx,

SDP SI has accurate models for gears. You have to register with their site to access them. McMaster Carr also has solid models in various formats.

Did you get the information you needed? I printed out change gears for my 1930's Craftsman Atlas lathe, and they have lasted me about 2 yrs now. I have an OpenSCAD File that can be modified for many desired gear options. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3317652

KT

today i printed this gear, this particular one isn't for threading purposes, but the ones that are for threading on my lathe are in the process....

Attachments

• 1635269491358.jpg
    1635269491358.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 118
  • 1635269491355.jpg
    1635269491355.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 121
What % infill did you use? How many wall layers? What material? When I 3D printed my gears, none of them needed a set screw. This makes me think that your gear is going to be attaching directly to the motor. I'm a bit more nervous about the forces that will be applied to it. Please let us know how it goes.

KT

Gear is 64t Module 1 metric
PETG material,
layer hight 0.1mm
first layer 0.3
wall lines 2
top and bottom skin 2
infill 50% Infil lines distance is 1mm
sliced in Cura, printed on tronxy x5sapro 400
Gear is designed in freecad (i am proud that as a beginner it took me 5 minutes to "design" it :) )
For now it performs very well. Runs quietly.
Since i don't have full set of gears for threading on my lathe, i am in the process of making them and i will probably make some youtube video for testing them under normal load in the lathe.

I made few more of gears in PLA filament also, and the also run good forn now, none of them stripped....

Cool! Thanks. I haven't worked all that much in PETG. The few times I did, it seemed more brittle. I think if you have any broken teeth etc, you might try going up to 3 wall lines.

It is awesome that you were able to design that in FreeCad. I use OpenSCAD but have tried FreeCAD. For some reason, the design process in FreeCAD just doesn't click with my brain and I always struggle with it. Plus I have experienced many crashes which discourages me.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Back