3D Printing

Interesting.

I wonder if wax would leave less debris than the plastic he was using?

It should. Also interesting is the idea of a 3D printer head that puts down wax. Should be easier to build than one that handles plastic and the material is cheap, unlike the usual plastics.

It should. Also interesting is the idea of a 3D printer head that puts down wax. Should be easier to build than one that handles plastic and the material is cheap, unlike the usual plastics.
I don't know. This and all similar 3d printers uses a rigid plastic filament that is forced into the extruder by a nip roll. Super simple, and only possible with this rigid plastic. I'm imagining a wax filament would behave like spaghetti, which is to say it would not work at all with this type of extruder.

Wax pellets would work with an auger-type extruder, but those are complicated and expensive. Actually I don't know if they even exist on this small scale. I've only seen them in industry, the size of a sedan.

I don't know. This and all similar 3d printers uses a rigid plastic filament that is forced into the extruder by a nip roll. Super simple, and only possible with this rigid plastic. I'm imagining a wax filament would behave like spaghetti, which is to say it would not work at all with this type of extruder.

Wax pellets would work with an auger-type extruder, but those are complicated and expensive. Actually I don't know if they even exist on this small scale. I've only seen them in industry, the size of a sedan.

I don't have a link handy but I've read of extruders built using lag screws for the helix (used for making filament for 3D printers). Should work with wax.

I have been watching cad/cam/ 3d scanners / 3d printers, and in mho , they all are not too good.
It is not something That I would get into because of lack of :
Ease of use
No backwards engineering of parts
No cheap way of scanning and printing
Cad/cam is boring to learn to use
Cad/Cam is expensive with yearly updates
Just not there yet.
I tried to go cheap with Bob cad
What a joke.
So many steps, I could make it faster with my manual mill and lathe
Ome

Back