• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

3D Taster Opinions

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have a Starrett edge finder for finding my X and Y zero but I have to adjust the spindle speed to something less than 800 rpm. Kind of a pain on my CNC mill to change pulley speeds. And then I have to deal with setting the Z zero. That takes another tool and another step in the setup sequence. I also have a XYZ tool setter that is automated through Mach3 (see picture below). It works well for setting up rough stock but is lacking accuracy when locating semi-finished parts for second operation machining.

I've been thinking about purchasing a 3D taster for locating parts edges and top surfaces. I've never used one but have viewed several videos showing them in action. On the surface they appear to be accurate and easy to use. The down side is they are expensive. I've looked at Tschorn, Haff and Schneider, SPI (looks like a Tschorn copy) and Haimer. Haimer seems to be the most popular and Tschorn the least expensive. Anyone have hands on experience and an opinion as to their usefulness? How accurate are they in use? Is any brand better than the other in regards to accuracy, repeatability, durability, etc?

IMG_0045.jpg

mksj

Active User
I use the Haimer, it is accurate to ~0.0004" and fairly durable (broke the tip once). Many of the other dial type edge finders also have a break away tip, but typically it needs to be sent to the factory for replacement which is big $$ and down time. The Haimer is usable replaceable and tips are around $40. I also have and electronic edge finder integrated into my DRO, but the Haimer is 2-3X more accurate, it also allows you to 0 an edge where my electronic edge finder only gives you a center point and a distance, not an edge 0 point. THe dial is easy to read and you have a +/- range around 0 which is more than other edge finders (i.e. less likely to break the tip). The Haimer requires high accuracy collets to get the most out of it, I typically get very good repeatability and accuracy, probably need to go to an electronic strain gauge type of edge finder to get any better. I ended up with the 12MM shaft metric version as the 3/4" version is too large for my chucks. You can purchase high accuracy 12 mm r-8 collets and also ER collets, which is a must for getting the accuracy. You will need a 0.0001" test indicator to setup the tip alignment, trust me that anything less does not cut it. I definitely recommend the Haimer, been using it for several years. I always use two hands and am very careful with it, drop anyone of these edge finders and they are probably toast.

https://www.haimer-usa.com/products...-new-generation/3d-sensor-new-generation.html

Testing the accuracy of a 1" gauge block, which was spot on and this was with a chuck as opposed to a collet. That being said the Jacobs chuck measred within 0.0002" TIR OMG.

Haimer 3D Sensor - New Generation 80.360.00.NG.jpg

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
FWIW - I have a digital Haimer and rely on it extensively. I'm using it in combination with a DRO on the mill for positioning, edge finding, centering, etc. It's probably the most used tool that I have.

-Ron

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
I just bought a tschorn saveplys so far it seems decent haven’t really used it much. I went with tschorn because it was half the price but also because they have a service center that will actually help you while Haimer does not care one but that you bought a product from them. The saveplus cost $210 and the spare tip was $40.

TomS

Active User
Thanks for your replies. I was hoping that the feedback would be positive. There is a industrial supply house in town. I'll drop by tomorrow and see what they can do on price and delivery. And of course there is always Amazon and eBay.

mksj

Active User
I purchased my Haimer from Tormach, I had some adjustment questions and they were very responsive., Service is often a function of who you purchase from, so if buying new I would recommend a more mainstream vendor at this price level. I also have the passive probe which is the same as the Tormach below which uses a mechanical electric switch to determine the edge. I prefer the Haimer. Unfamiliar with the Tschorn, but looks like a good alternative and has a US service center, see discussion of both below.
https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=33029&portrelay=1
https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=32310
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/haimer-vs-tschorn-3d-tasters-338934/

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
I purchased my Haimer from Tormach, I had some adjustment questions and they were very responsive., Service is often a function of who you purchase from, so if buying new I would recommend a more mainstream vendor at this price level. I also have the passive probe which is the same as the Tormach below which uses a mechanical electric switch to determine the edge. I prefer the Haimer. Unfamiliar with the Tschorn, but looks like a good alternative and has a US service center, see discussion of both below.
https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=33029&portrelay=1
https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=32310
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/haimer-vs-tschorn-3d-tasters-338934/

Service is not a factor of you you buy from. Nobody in the us repairs hiamers.

To the op I got my tschorn off traverstool ebay store.

TomS

Active User
Service is not a factor of you you buy from. Nobody in the us repairs hiamers.

To the op I got my tschorn off traverstool ebay store.

Thanks for the purchase info. And you are correct on the price; about $220 with shipping.

TomS

Active User
Ordered the Tschorn from the Travers Tool eBay store. It will be here early next week.

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
Ordered the Tschorn from the Travers Tool eBay store. It will be here early next week.
I’ll be setting mine up this weekend on my Fadal. Only thing I dislike is I cannot leave it in my toolchanger because it’s not waterproof. But that’s ok the electronic edge finders I used to use were not waterproof either I just didn’t care about those.

I hope this thing repeats like it should.

TomS

Active User
I’ll be setting mine up this weekend on my Fadal. Only thing I dislike is I cannot leave it in my toolchanger because it’s not waterproof. But that’s ok the electronic edge finders I used to use were not waterproof either I just didn’t care about those.

I hope this thing repeats like it should.
I've read quite a bit on the web about the Haimer and Tschorn. Definitely the Haimer is the most popular of the two but both are highly rated by end users. What it came down to for me was cost; $220 vs. $430. I'm a hobbyist so price is important as long as the quality is similar. I don't have a tool changer on my mill so the IP67 rating wasn't a factor in my decision process. I've got a second operation job waiting so I'm anxious to try it out.

astjp2

Active User
Registered
We just threw out about 15 haimers because the operators at work seem to crash them a lot...too bad there is not anyone locally to fix them....

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
We just threw out about 15 haimers because the operators at work seem to crash them a lot...too bad there is not anyone locally to fix them....
I wish I could got a couple of those.

Anyways I got my tschorn all dialed in and some far it’s looking decent.it doesn’t seem to have the smoothest action and almost seems like it gets hung up. But it not that bad and from my quick testing it’s quite repeatable. I haven’t had any chance to play with it more as I’ve had a job cutting for the past 2 days straight and I don’t want to get in the way of production to test this thing any further.

astjp2

Active User
Registered
I have had the Haimers stick, I just go to the crib and get a new one when I am checking a machine. The old one hits the scrap bin because no one fixes them and they are not that expensive for a Big CNC shop...you would not believe what they threw out in carbide milling bits, reamers and cutters, just because the work statement changed and they may not be used for a while and it costs too much money to keep them in inventory:frown:

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
I have had the Haimers stick, I just go to the crib and get a new one when I am checking a machine. The old one hits the scrap bin because no one fixes them and they are not that expensive for a Big CNC shop...you would not believe what they threw out in carbide milling bits, reamers and cutters, just because the work statement changed and they may not be used for a while and it costs too much money to keep them in inventory:frown:

Crazy well I’d like one of those broken haimers if you get a chance. Sad they throw that stuff out I pay good money for it.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried to get service on a haimer. Their company is pretty close to me in villa park IL. I’ve also been on the hunt for one.

TomS

Active User
Has anyone tried to get service on a haimer. Their company is pretty close to me in villa park IL. I’ve also been on the hunt for one.
I looked on the Long Island Indicator site and their only reference to Haimer is that they are a specialty device and repair parts are not available so they must be sent to Germany for repair. Same comment for Haff and Schneider.

[6]
[5] [7]