3D Taster Opinions

The Tschorn is being returned. I was suspicious when I opened the box and noticed dirty fingerprints on the inside. Apparently the box was opened and the taster removed from the box. By whom I have no idea. Could have been a Travers warehouse person or a previous customer, or ???.

Anyway, wanting to see how well it worked I went ahead and set it up. Dialed in the probe tip to within .0002" TIR. I could have fiddled with it more to get it closer but I wanted to try it out. Using a 123 block in my mill vise I touched off on the left side of the block and brought it to "0" on the taster. Raised it up, moved to the right side and jogged down to the same Z height. Jogged over until the taster read "0". This where it gets interesting. I jogged off zero then jogged back to zero. Checked my X axis DRO and it was off .0015" from my initial reading. Hmmm. Moved back to the left side and zero'd the taster. The DRO was off nearly .002". I wiggled the probe in the Y+/Y- direction and the taster needle moved about .0015". Repeated this on the right side and the same thing. In order to get repeatable readings I had to wiggle the probe. Ran the test a couple more times and was able to get consistent readings (within .0005") by wiggling the probe. This is not why I bought this. I can get as close and I can do it much faster using my edge finder.

My observation is the mechanism is not as smooth acting as it should be. Not sure if this a trait of the Tschorn or I got a bad one. In any case it's going back. Anyone experience this with a Haimer?

Sorry you got a bad one. Mine ended up being very nice I’m within .0005” every time and it seems smoother then when I first got it.

I did a similar test with my Haimer when I got it, using a 123 block standing on end I measured 1.0000" on my DRO (see previous picture). When setup correctly the accuracy is ~0.0004" in dimensional measurements and the edge repeatability is ~0.0002" in my experience. The Haimer mechanism is smooth and very consistent, it measure more accurately then a electronic digital edge finder that plugs into my DRO (on edge detection it is out about 0.0006" in either direction). With the Tschorn they makes different quality edge finders, the SavePlus may not be as refined as their higher end models which are the same price as the Haimer. Since there is a local service center, it may be worthwhile to give them a call to discuss your concerns and what the difference is with their different models. One thing that I have not found specific to the Tschorn is clear documentation as to the accuracy and repeatability of each model (I did see this in a video that showed the calibration certificate).

Forgot to mention that is true tschorn will service their indicator here and most likely for free. But it’s easier and quicker to just send it back to travers.

Also I’m betting yours was crashed and returned or something that’s why is was dirty. Mine came clean.

I'm not going to try and save this one. It's going back. I'm looking at the Haimer again. I found a local industrial supply house that is a Haimer authorized dealer. For the model I'm looking at their price is within $20 of the least expensive one listed on eBay.

Well today my mill operator broke the tschorn. It crashed in the z and completely broke without damaging the tip. Went to look at repair costs and it is $231 so more than I paid for the thing. All in all I’m disappointed but if I had bought a Haimer I’d be out $400 with no repair. These things are just delicate in the z axis. Maybe tschorn will cover it under warranty I need to call them on Monday.

Turns out I was dumb it also explains the sticking previously. There is a plastic spacer you must remove before using the indicator. Once I removed that it started working fine again.

Happens to the best of us. Remember watching a utube video of a guy using a coaxial indicator. The whole time he had the plastic spacer in which would cause it not to read. He kept on with what he was doing not to mention anything of it and if remember correctly kept on with the machining. I’ve been there and noticed it immediately. Just remember to remove and replace most importantly.

Happens to the best of us. Remember watching a utube video of a guy using a coaxial indicator. The whole time he had the plastic spacer in which would cause it not to read. He kept on with what he was doing not to mention anything of it and if remember correctly kept on with the machining. I’ve been there and noticed it immediately. Just remember to remove and replace most importantly.

Strange though because it was working great with that spacer in? Until it got crashed at least.

The spacer isn’t exact. On my coaxial the spacer probably has .030 play. I think its more for maxing the gauge out precaution.
And thanks now I have to get one ;).

They are great especially for cnc work. I have a renishaw probe but use this because no need for the renishaw. I have 2 now so don’t feel so bad

Back