3MT arbor with 0.5" ID

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for a 3MT arbor to stick in my lathe tailstock with a nice finish 0.5" hole, ideally ~2" depth. Reason: I have a bunch of accessories I want to utilize this 'standard' like mini drill chuck for hand feeding, threading heads & other do-dads intended to slide in & out. Does such a beast exist? I've seen 3MT arbors with machine-able blank ends which I guess I could drill & ream out. I've also seen drill shank 'holders' but I'm not sure about their linear contact area & I think they will self clamp with the taper engaged in the socket whereas I want close sliding fit?

Hmm... never thought of that. Just don't use the set screw when I want the .5" pin part of the tool to slide in & out unconstrained. But also, in another mode where I want a fixed 0.5" pin male to stick out of the arbour, then the set screw could be used to lock that into position. Good idea, thanks!

Buy an arbour,chuck a drill chuck,(on an arbor), in the headstock,drill arbor in tailstock 12.5 mm and the ream to 0.5". Use a bit of 0.5" hardened drill rod and lap with toothpaste.
Make sure your tailstock is aligned first of course.
You may have to drill an air release hole and generally for use in a tailstock the open end arbors,(drawbar type), with a large button head screw fitted are a better bet than a tanged one.
Always try to make before you buy aye.

Back