4.5" LARGE 4 Way Tool Post-

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Im in Oregon, got this with my lathe but never used it. The bottom 't' plate is missing, but here's what I've got :) 4.5" from the bottom (not including the key) to the bottom of the tool position. This weighs a whole bunch though. I could use L1 backing plates, or a steady rest for a large lathe, etc. Let me know if you've got anything to trade.

IMG_20190907_141453.jpgIMG_20190907_141449.jpgIMG_20190907_141445.jpg

It would seem to be off a turret lathe, handy and useful for the turret lathe, but it is pretty specific in its application.

It would seem to be off a turret lathe, handy and useful for the turret lathe, but it is pretty specific in its application.
Is it? It came off the compound of my reed Prentice 14 inch engine lathe. I've seen similar on other engine lathes as well.

What leads you to think it comes from a turret lathe?

For one thing, it mounts with a 4-bolt flange instead of the stud and T-nut used on most smaller compound slides.

For one thing, it mounts with a 4-bolt flange instead of the stud and T-nut used on most smaller compound slides.
I don't know why I didn't notice that! It came with my lathe, and I immediately put a wedge style on it, so I never attempted to mount it.

Well, I'd anyone wants it mostly trying to get it out of my shop.

Near certain a McCroskey, the best. Tough and slick at the same time. The flange is turret lathe, but more than one has pulled his engine lathe compound off to mount one. Mill a plate to regain centerline, tap that 4 hole pattern and go to town. Others cut the flange down and T-nut remainder. Easy production boost, and less exercise hoisting rather [less] beefy Aloris or Dickson all day. A decent lathe is not set to have just one set of toolholding, if your work varies. Being able say, turn-bore-chamfer-part off, with 2 simple motions one hand never leaving cross slide handle; vs operate lever-pull holder- turn behind you and switch holders- replace and lock must be 4x time involved.

I'll bait with the avatar statement, all in fun. If you are "Making scrap at ludicrous speed" now, imagine how much time will be saved!
JK of course. That was last offered Sept 2019. Still have it?

Near certain a McCroskey, the best. Tough and slick at the same time. The flange is turret lathe, but more than one has pulled his engine lathe compound off to mount one. Mill a plate to regain centerline, tap that 4 hole pattern and go to town. Others cut the flange down and T-nut remainder. Easy production boost, and less exercise hoisting rather [less] beefy Aloris or Dickson all day. A decent lathe is not set to have just one set of toolholding, if your work varies. Being able say, turn-bore-chamfer-part off, with 2 simple motions one hand never leaving cross slide handle; vs operate lever-pull holder- turn behind you and switch holders- replace and lock must be 4x time involved.

I'll bait with the avatar statement, all in fun. If you are "Making scrap at ludicrous speed" now, imagine how much time will be saved!
JK of course. That was last offered Sept 2019. Still have it?

:D You should see how quickly I manage to ruin my projects! I have an Aloris style tool post, so I don't have a need for it, so it is basically just taxing gravity at the moment.

But yes, I'm pretty sure I still have it hanging out in my shop somewhere.

Back