4" diameter 1018 steel

So, I've made a mistake.

I placed an order for some metal. I just wanted some basics in the shop. I got about 60 pounds of remnants in steel/aluminium/brass, and then some specific alloys. Mostly, I ordered reasonable amounts in reasonable sizes.

But, the 4" diameter 1018 round steel... I wanted 12", but then the price to get a second foot was much less than double the cost of the first foot. And then the next foot... well, to my great embarrassment, I wound up ordering a four foot long piece. Woops.
Actually you really screwed that one up, 6 feet is usually the sweet spot for savings. You need to order 2 more feet. ;)

Since you will ultimately have to cut the pieces again in the future to specific lengths to suit different projects, it would make sense to tool up so you can cut it yourself.
This is an entry level saw as an example BUT you will get lots of useful info from members here about the cost/performance tradeoffs of different models.

I had to cut some 1" mystery steel rod with a hacksaw, that was the beginning of the end of my thinking a hacksaw was adequate for the shop. Soon after I came up with a project that required cutting a bunch 4" square tubing, that is when the HF 4x6 bandsaw came home with me.

For material over 2" I buy only what I need as I need it. I can usually find a drop close to the needed size for a good price on eBay. That saves having to saw large stock to length. For smaller stock a Porta Band with a proper blade works well. If I had room for a horizontal I would get the Harbor Freight 4x6.

When you put a new blade on the saw never run it into the old cut section. The set will have been reduced on the old blade so the kerf will be narrow. You'll ruin the new blade, removing the set when it enters the old cut.

Greg
This.gif

Back