[4]

4" Hollow Sphere

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Fabrickator

Active User
4” Hollow Sphere

I’ve been thinking about making a hollow vessel in metal for some time now but I’ve decided that it just can’t be done safely without CNC. But a hollow “box” is possible if you make the project in two-pieces like one I made many years ago, in wood.

My plan was to create a ball in 6061 aluminum (4”X 6” billet) and soon found that I had to make a custom tool to cut a ball large enough for this project. I cut a 4” ball, parted it into two pieces and worked each ½ into matching twins that fit together. To hollow the inside, I used step cuts while carefully measuring the wall thickness to ensure that I didn’t cut through (1/4”). Once this was complete, I decided to make jewel-like cuts to provide maximum light refraction using my set of ball-end mills.

I wanted to tease viewers to wonder what’s inside so I made ”windows” all around it. I tried something new and skewed the rotary table about 40*. The skewed table along with the round form makes it appear to have lazy “S” windows, when in fact they are straight cuts. I fashioned a small handle from the top tenon to invite viewers to lift the lid and look inside. One of the bonuses I hadn’t considered is it is not only pleasing to the visual senses, but it turned out to have audio characteristics because it chimes a bit when opening and closing the lid.

This project took many steps, many set-ups and a lot of detail work to complete. I made nearly 700 precision cuts on it (650 inside alone) and many hours of finish work. When assembled, you can barely notice the part line. I mounted it on a base of natural-edge Mesquite wood. Peeking inside draws attention because the light passing through it gives it a very special, one of a kind look.

Factoid: What started as a 7 pound billet ended up weighing less than 1 pound. I nearly filled up one 33 gallon trash can with swarf and then recycled it for a couple of bucks.

Equipment:

Grizzly G0602 with custom 4” Ball Turner

LMS Mini Mill w/ 4” rotary table and angle plate

ER25-5/8” Collet adapter plate

Set of Ball-End milling tools

Attachments

roadie33

Active User
Nice.
You could definitely make some green selling those for high end art.

Eddyde

Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Nice Work!

mzayd3

Active User
Holy moly! That's amazing to look at. Nice work. Wish I had the patience to do your level work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Just AMAZING! That should be in a gallery somewhere. Thanks for sharing the wonderful work!

wawoodman

himself, himself
Now if you could put the halves back together without a seam... :blues:

DHarris

Absolutely beautiful design and execution!

FLguy

Your the man!!!!

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Nice work. Looks like it was very satisfying to do.
Wish I had the artistic gene. Just the fix it and make it work gene...

Fabrickator

Active User

brino

Active User
@Fabrickator,

Absolutely stunning once again!
Thanks for sharing this.

I believe you think in more dimensions than I do. :confused:

-brino

randyjaco

Active User
Fascinating project, got a good laugh on the waste.

Randy

Rooster

Very Cool

Downunder Bob

Staff member
A beautiful piece of art, well done.

T Bredehoft

Active User
Isn't it fun, just to see something you've planned come out of that block of metal ! What a feeling !

Fabrickator

Active User
Thanks to all for your Comments and Likes. This was a very fun project. Like most of my projects, they are not pre-created on a drawing program to see if they work - I make nothing more but a rough sketch before I start. It's fun to see how they evolve (finish, display) as I stand there for hours, days and sometimes months machining them.

My step daughter visited at Christmas time and commented to me "where so you get your inspiration"? I told here the same thing. I get a basic idea of something I would like to look at and it just evolves from there.

I'm in the middle of a new, very cool project that I've been working on for several months now and I think any "motor head" (like myself) will love it. Stay tuned.

[6]
[5] [7]