4 independent jaw chuck. No DIN6350?

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello.

I´m going to buy a 4 jaw independet chuck. My lathe has a 3 jaw universal chuck of 100mm. A K11-100. I´m not sure what type of 4 jaw chuck buy because looking up for it I see there are difFerent types of spindle. I see a DIN 6350 and the measurements of the holes for the screws of my spindle are not the same, or I thinks so.

So, I think I need a K72-100, but before buying it, I prefer to ask. because the other option is a DIN 6350.

What do you think?

Thank you

Best regards

Nobody on this side of the big pond is likely to be familiar with DIN standards for chucks. Hopefully, one or more of our European members will be able to help you with that.

My only contribution would be that the "bolt circle" in your picture is set up for both 3-bolt and 4-bolt chucks, all of which have an 83mm BCD. Probably all 3-jaw chucks will have 3 mounting bolts, so they'll use the leftmost bolt hole, plus the upper one the green (42) line goes to, plus the corresponding hole below center. 4-jaw chucks will most likely mount with 4 bolts - two at opposite ends of the red "83" line, plus the two directly above and below center. The yellow "59" line goes to the upper.

Thanks for your answer

Ahh, ok I didn´t know that DIN was sectorial. Ok ok, I´ll make a little research.

Yes, for some items, things are not quite as well organized here. Of course, there's a very long "history" of many sizes and types of chucks from many countries. What we usually go by for a chuck is the diameter and the mounting method - threaded backplate, pins (D series chucks), precision taper, etc. In many cases, the lathe spindle is threaded and the backplate is purchased as a separate item. There are, of course, numerous thread sizes and pitches used on various lathes. The "bare" backplate is mounted on the lathe spindle and a "register" for the back of the chuck is machined in situ (so that the register, and therefore the chuck) is exactly co-axial with the spindle axis.)

It appears that your photo shows the backplate on the lathe. Is it permanently attached? If so, it's yet another system for chuck mounting.

Those of us who are familiar aren't necessarily happy about it.

Since you're in Spain you should reach out to your Bison rep, they will have the info you need.

Good luck, and if you come across any good deals on DIN 55027 let me know....

John

Thanks for your answers. I saw a chuck in amazon that seems to fit OK. If it doesn´t fit, the good thing is that I can return it for free.

It only cost 74$. https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0892J4BQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don´t know if it´s of acceptable quality. What do I have to check to know about the quality of the chuck? I am a beginner and I don´t know much about machining

And yes, the back plate is permanently attached.

With Amazon and PayPal you should be safe financially, also likely that the chuck will be of acceptable Chinese quality which means you should take it apart, clean it and stone any areas that need it.

With a 4 jaw, accuracy largely depends on the operator so I wouldn't worry if it's not super precise. Known as "second operation" workholding devices you can remove parts and put them back in with accuracy due to the independent adjusting jaws.

Please post some photos of your whole machine and the shop you're working in, we love photos.

And welcome, this is a great place to learn and ask any question you like.

John

Thanks for your answer. It seems that Kxx is a standard. The K72-100 fits perfect. And it looks sturdy.

About the place, I have made a "table" for the lathe. Is made of steel and the lathe lies in a 6mm steel sheet. It has 2 bolts, one of them fixed and the other has a lever welded, so it´s free and I can fasten it only when I´m going to use the lathe, to avoid tensions caused by different dilatation between the lathe and the steel sheet. Space is a concern, so I put a removable tray. The drawers are made from old boars, so the cuts are not the best. The legs are made from 20mm screw bar with nuts welded and a piece of derlin at the bottom, so I can regulate it. And the top of the table is fixed to the wall in the 2 rear corners to improve de stability.

And yes, the wall needs paint.

Looks like a tidy and well organized shop, can't wait to see some of your projects :encourage:

Back