4" Jack

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
I just finished up my latest project the other day. It always seems like I end up making something practical, and then something fun. The last project was a ER25 collet adapter for my G0602 Lathe (which came in handy for this project). So for this project I decided to make a whimsical object from my childhood, a game from simpler times before electronics and video called “Jacks”. Some may be too young to remember this game while others surely will.

The object of the game was to randomly drop 10 jacks and bounce a little red ball and see how many you can pick up before the ball bounced twice. Pick up one was called “onesies”; two was “twosies” and so forth. Anyway, I liked the form of the Jack and I thought it would be cool to have an oversized one in my curio.

Jacks are commonly 6-spike, smooth, round, tapered with 4 of the spikes having ball ends. I did some research and found a pic of a cool flat sided version that I liked. It presented a lot of facets (48) for a highly reflective quality with the traditional 4 rounds balls to counter the overall angular shape. This also made it a greater challenge and I was able to utilize several of my tooling fixtures. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Rick

Material: 6061 aluminum, 1” square bar stock

Equipment:

Grizzly G0602

ER25 collet adapter

LMS High Torque Mini Mill

LMS 4” Rotary Table w/ indexing

Ball Turner

Variable Angle Plate

View attachment 114872 View attachment 114873

IMG_2113.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2163.JPG IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2109.JPG images (2).jpg aluminum-jacks-160327839 (1).jpg

I enjoy watching someone have fun. Love the collection too. :)

Heck of a project, Fabrickator. I remember playing jacks in the summer, sitting on the relatively cool concrete of our front porches, before refrigerated air conditioning.

Ya got me, I was looking for a 4" machinist jack. Surprise-surprise. Very nice indeed.

"Billy G"

Did you ever play the most dangerous game of mumble peg? I don't think anyone plays that , oh no little boys with pocket knives.

Back