4 jaw chuck

rzw0wr

Registered
Registered
I have a Bolton BT-1022 lathe.
This lathe is discontinued.

I can no longer get parts for it.

I would like to get a 5" 4 jaw independent chuck for it.

Does anyone know of a chuck that will work or that I can make work?

Thank you,
Dale

That shouldn't be a problem once you sort out the type of backing plate you will need to make it happen. You do the final faceoff and turning of the back plate mounting shoulder to match the 4 jaw you decide to buy on the lathe it will be mounted to.

0912191753.jpg

downsize.jpg

These are pictures of my lathe mount and the back of my chuck.

The chuck is held on with the 3 nuts on a disk that rotates a little to lock the bolts in.

Maybe start here to find a backing plate that matches the measurements of your current plate and then look up the chuck it will fit on the same site.

Next question.
How do you remove the backing plate?

Mine appears to be press fit on.

Dale

Next question.

Dale
The three bolts around the outside pattern appear to hold the chuck and back plate together. Also look at the front face of the chuck for fasteners holding it together. Perhaps show us a photo of the front of the chuck. My 'guess' is that it is just the three bolts on the outside circle. Sometimes the fits are tight and lubricants have dried in the mounting surfaces. They do not often just fall out, and getting them cocked can also make them stick while removing the back plate. Look at what is going on there carefully, don't just reach for a bigger hammer...

Lathe chucks aren't normally a press fit only on the backplates. They always use fasteners. At least I have never heard of or seen that. Like Bob said the 3 bolts should be holding it on & could just be a tight fit.

You'll most likely need to make a new backplate including the mounting pins. I'm not sure what the name for is for that type of spindle, if there is one, but they are commonly found on asian import mini lathes. I have never seen backplates for sale other than if you get a replacement part from a manufacturer/distributor. Doesn't mean no one sells them but I have never seen them.

Stefan Gotteswinter showed him making a backplate for his old lathe which had this type of spindle. IIRC he doesn't really cover much on how to make it, his video is more about how he made his (features).

Taps with a nylon headed hammer will probably break it free if you have all the fasteners removed. If you don't all the hammers in the world won't make it move.

Next question.

Dale
The three bolts around the outside pattern appear to hold the chuck and back plate together. Also look at the front face of the chuck for fasteners holding it together. Perhaps show us a photo of the front of the chuck. My 'guess' is that it is just the three bolts on the outside circle. Sometimes the fits are tight and lubricants have dried in the mounting surfaces. They do not often just fall out, and getting them cocked can also make them stick while removing the back plate. Look at what is going on there carefully, don't just reach for a bigger hammer...

Back