4 jaw chucks

Hard to beat a nice quality chuck, but I'd probably try static balancing it, and a regrind on the jaws and see how it comes out. Got this 13"
for $40 on Craigs list and other than it being filthy when I got it, it cleaned up well and has very nice fit and finish. Waiting on carriage lead screw replacement to run it up, but have high hopes. Mike

IMG_20190430_133415211.jpgIMG_20190430_225225210.jpgIMG_20190430_225239651.jpgIMG_20190430_225249315.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea there would be so many things wrong with a cheap chuck I would have thought maybe the jaws weren't as hard , I'm learning so much on this site thank you all . Of course I wish I would have known this before I bought a 8" Grizzly 4 jaw for $100 , never been mounted so I guess I'm in for a surprise

It might turn out to be OK. Give it a chance and see. Just keep an eye out for the issues mentioned above. I for one would like to know what you think about the Grizzly chuck.

These are some photos from my Phase II chuck when it was new. It is obvious that the jaws were not all ground square. If you compare each jaw against the others on a flat surface, any daylight in between them means that each is not square. The different size of the pads (example: top right versus bottom left) is another indication of the difference between jaws. Grinding the jaws on the lathe fixed the problem.

Watch out for burrs as well. The jaws needed some serious deburring (se silver coloured areas in the second picture).

Attachments

• IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
FWIW, the four jaw chuck that came with my Grizzly G0602 had jaws that tapered in at the rear, providing an insecure mounting for parts and resulting in an unstable condition at extended distances from the chuck. Properly ground jaws should have a slight outward taper at the rear of the chuck.

I reground my jaws but you shouldn't have to do that with a new chuck.

Back