4-Jaw is completed

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So the 4-jaw is completed.
First let me say that I hate cast iron. What a mess.

I took my time and eased up into the register diameter. Fits like a piston.
Total runout is about 3 thou. Being that it's a 4-jaw that's good for my needs.

One thing I'm not happy about is that that when turning it to final diameter I broke through the counterbores for the mounting bolts.
Shars sells the cuck and backing pate as a pair so I would have expected that the bores would be sized so this wouldn't happen.

I will let Shars know about this as I think it's an issue. I'm not unhappy but I'm not thrilled either.

If I had it to do all over again I'd have bought one of the 4-jaws from HH Roberts.

On the plus side, this was my first attempt at any actual machining and I'm pleased with the result.

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

So the 4-jaw is completed.
First let me say that I hate cast iron. What a mess.

I took my time and eased up into the register diameter. Fits like a piston.
Total runout is about 3 thou. Being that it's a 4-jaw that's good for my needs.

One thing I'm not happy about is that that when turning it to final diameter I broke through the counterbores for the mounting bolts.
Shars sells the cuck and backing pate as a pair so I would have expected that the bores would be sized so this wouldn't happen.

I will let Shars know about this as I think it's an issue. I'm not unhappy but I'm not thrilled either.

If I had it to do all over again I'd have bought one of the 4-jaws from HH Roberts.

On the plus side, this was my first attempt at any actual machining and I'm pleased with the result.

View attachment 311363

View attachment 311364

View attachment 311365

Lookin' good! I hope that lathe won't be staying that clean.

Good work, don't leave the chuck key in. :grin:

Nope, I’m my hand or in my apron pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lookin' good! I hope that lathe won't be staying that clean.

That’s after cleaning up the cast iron mess. Did I mention that I don’t like that stuff?

Doing a bunch of cast iron parts for a steam engine. Washed my hands in the kitchen sink one day and the iron dust stained the plates sitting in the sink with rust. Can’t get it off.
:rolleyes:

Yikes!
As my first foray into making chips they covered my hands in black oily mess.

Back