4 jaw?

bpimm

Active User
Registered
Is this a reasonable deal? I have been wanting a 4 jaw chuck for quite a while, After reading the other thread this week about the same topic it got me looking again.

Bison Chuck

The Lathe is a 1440 that came with a 8" 3-jaw from Poland, no name just the country of origin.

After looking at L1 backing plates and they cost almost as much as a chuck I'm thinking a direct mount is the better option.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Is this a reasonable deal? I have been wanting a 4 jaw chuck for quite a while, After reading the other thread this week about the same topic it got me looking again.

Bison Chuck

The Lathe is a 1440 that came with a 8" 3-jaw from Poland, no name just the country of origin.

After looking at L1 backing plates and they cost almost as much as a chuck I'm thinking a direct mount is the better option.

Thoughts?

Thanks
A 4 jaw is fine with a direct mount, A 3 jaw, not so much...

Is that because you can't bump them true with the direct mount?
Simply because of the independent jaws, which can be separately dialed in to center the work even if the chuck is not quite true. The mounting can also be an issue with the chuck not spinning true in a wobble sense, which can only be fixed by re-machining the mounting -- but that also can be an issue with a spindle adapter or a bolt mount chuck body as well. Either can be improved by re-machining them.

In my opinion, a direct mount chuck is better in several ways. Provided the chuck is accurately machined, and Bison is supposed to be very good at this, then the mounting taper of the chuck should mate accurately with the long taper of the L1 nose and give you as much accuracy as the chuck is capable of. It will very likely be much more accurate than mounting a plain back chuck to a back plate. The other benefits of a direct mount are minimal overhang and reduced weight.

Given that this chuck retails for almost $850, it seem like that ebay chuck is a decent deal.

The other thing to consider is that a good quality back plate and the cost of a high quality chuck is a lot of money when you add it all up. If you bought a new PB or Yuasa or Rohm or Samchully/Kitagawa and then bought a back plate, the cost would probably be double what the Bison cost, and the accuracy of the chuck would then depend on how accurately you fit the chuck to the back plate.

So, if you can handle the cost of the Bison chuck then it is a very good option.

What's wrong with your current chuck?
I say defiantly go with a direct mount.
What are you to offer?
I have a direct mount 3J and have been very pleased with it.

In my opinion, a direct mount chuck is better in several ways. Provided the chuck is accurately machined, and Bison is supposed to be very good at this, then the mounting taper of the chuck should mate accurately with the long taper of the L1 nose and give you as much accuracy as the chuck is capable of. It will very likely be much more accurate than mounting a plain back chuck to a back plate. The other benefits of a direct mount are minimal overhang and reduced weight.

Given that this chuck retails for almost $850, it seem like that ebay chuck is a decent deal.

The other thing to consider is that a good quality back plate and the cost of a high quality chuck is a lot of money when you add it all up. If you bought a new PB or Yuasa or Rohm or Samchully/Kitagawa and then bought a back plate, the cost would probably be double what the Bison cost, and the accuracy of the chuck would then depend on how accurately you fit the chuck to the back plate.

So, if you can handle the cost of the Bison chuck then it is a very good option.

It does sound like the better option, I found another one on ebay and have requested a shipping quote, we'll see which one is the better deal.

I guess I need to do my taxes and see if I'll have anything left in the slush fund after paying all my taxes... :(

What's wrong with your current chuck?
I say defiantly go with a direct mount.
What are you to offer?
I have a direct mount 3J and have been very pleased with it.

Nothing wrong with the current chuck, I just want the flexibility of a 4 jaw.

The shipping quote came back and it looks like $550.00 to my door so I pulled the trigger. Now I can quit putting the little 6" 4 jaw from my small lathe in the 3 jaw on this one to do 4 jaw work. really sketchy...

I just bought a Bison 10" 4 jaw D1-6.
As far as I know, Bison, is one of the best chucks money can buy. Not cheap, but it will last a lifetime.

Back