4" + Radius Turning Tool Modification

magicniner

Registered
Registered
I needed to turn an outside radius larger than the capacity of either of my radius turning tools on some 1/2" round brass, the quickest and cheapest solution was a make a longer tool holder for my horizontal radius turning tool, it's about 3 times the over all length of the standard tool holder and takes the same insert and screw, you can just about see the carbide insert under a pile of brass powder!

4.25-InchRadiusTurning.jpg

I made a test extended tool holder in Aluminium but it worked fine on brass so I'm not bothering with steel yet, the vise grips provide both a handle at an adequate radius to control the tool and extra outboard mass to prevent vibration, quite deep cuts are possible, the job in the shot took 4 cuts plus a spring pass.

- Nick

Last edited:
Looks good Nick! What is it you're making?

I make those for my brothers pen busines , the shell not the bullet , he uses real copper bullets though.
Made a fixture to hold 4 caseings, we found they work better with a flat on the lifting part.
IMG_0845.JPGIMG_0850.JPG
We use once fired brass and leave the primer for bottle openers, we also make writing pens out of them and about all other calibers

Last edited:
There YA go , a good niche marketable item. It's what I eventually want to do . Make a few different items not made anymore at fair prices so all can enjoy not just the idle rich.

Back