[Drill] 4 Step Cone Pulley...

michael.kitko

Registered
Registered
I have been searching all last night and this morning and figured I would just ask. So, I have a Walker Turner drill press and I need to get the slow speed attachment. As you probably realize, they are incredibly over-priced and rare. So, I have been looking for a 4 step cone pulley with bearings in it to make my own. I can't seem to find any. All I keep finding is the keyed ones. Any help in finding a pulley with internal bearings would be appreciated. Worst case scenario, I have to make my own. I want to try and avoid that.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

I was just looking at my dp to make the same thing. What size you thinking on the pulleys. I have 4 1/2" dia alum stock...Bob

I have a slow speed pulley setup on craigslist minneapolis.Though its for a Craftsman, It might fit others. I don't know if I should-can link it here. I could cut a heck of a deal if someone here needs it.

I measured 2.48 inches on the outside diameter of the fitting. The part between the bottom of the pulley and the top of the rise is 2.34".
The top is 5" and the smallest pulley is 2.34

IMAG0721.jpg

I have been searching all last night and this morning and figured I would just ask. So, I have a Walker Turner drill press and I need to get the slow speed attachment. As you probably realize, they are incredibly over-priced and rare. So, I have been looking for a 4 step cone pulley with bearings in it to make my own. I can't seem to find any. All I keep finding is the keyed ones. Any help in finding a pulley with internal bearings would be appreciated. Worst case scenario, I have to make my own. I want to try and avoid that.

======================================================

I just put together a WT900. I know what you mean about the high price of the slow speed unit. One was sold on e-bay a couple of weeks ago. Went for $285.00 . I was able to make my own unit, using a keyed pulley. Same size as the motor and spindle pulleys. I just put the bearings in the block, instead of the pulley. Here is a photo. Works like a charm. --- John

IMG_1380_zps9rfmfr3z.jpg

That is actually what I was planning. I like your setup. What did you use for the bearing block? It does look cast.

That is actually what I was planning. I like your setup. What did you use for the bearing block? It does look cast.

=============================

The block is cast iron. I used the center hub, out of an old pulley, that had spokes. Part of one spoke, became a boss to hold the threaded shaft. I threaded a piece of 3/4" shaft. Then I turned the end down to 7/16"and threaded it also. I drilled a hole in the boss on the block and tapped it for the 7/16-20 thread. I used Loc-Tite on the threads to be sure it would not come loose. I also milled a flat down the length of the 3/4-16 thread along the top. A set screw in the top of the green extension on the drill press, keeps the 3/4" rod from twisting. I copied most of the design, from the one that was for sale on e-bay. --- John

Back