4 TPI Thread: How is this looking to you?

Acmes need plenty of rigidity and power for cutting . Easy way is to cut your thread using a regular 60 degree cutter the same pitch , picking the thread back up and then thread with the acme tool . Lot less wear and tear on the machine and tool .

I tried this before, with an Acme thread, and feeding directly in, but the machine just couldn't handle that much material removal. Even at .001 on diameter DOCs, feeding straight in was just too much for the machine. Chips would pack in there, and it would just stall.

If your lathe is an import, your compound angle may be 60 deg. I'll run out in the shop in a few to confirm, but my Clausing's compound at 0 deg. yields compound movement parallel to the cross feed. My Grizzly's compound at 0 deg. results in compound movement parallel to the longitudinal travel. So on the Clausing, I set 29.5 deg., on the Grizzly a touch past 60 deg.

Bruce

Sorry to so cruel but just answering your original question. I would be surprised if you can save it as deep as the threads are. Let us know it it was saved.

This is a simple tool that can help along with the fishtail. Office supply stores have similar and online as well. Toolpost removed for clarity. You can get the compound set perfectly to whatever degree you want within the limits of the marked degrees.

F1162347-E7AF-4E1E-B9C7-55B49A6840F0.jpeg5A428623-3EC9-4860-A504-56380A183172.jpeg

You may be able to recover due to that at 60 degrees the tool has not cut as deep as it would have when set to 30. Whether the thread shape will match what you require is difficult to say. I think that you may end up with a smaller major diameter with a larger flat at the peak but a correct minor diameter. Will this cause trouble, you will have to just try it and report back.

Back