4 Ways to Start a Single Phase Motor

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i made a short video to demonstrate starting a small single phase motor.
these principles can be used to start just about any single phase motor, but these are NOT the only ways of getting the work done :grin:

in demonstration, there are 2 latching circuits, a latching switch and a toggle switch respectively, coupled with different relays.
so, if you got nothing better to do for the next 5:38 , have a look!

if there is interest,
i'll provide additional information.

thanks for reading, watching and participating in the exchange of information

Can you show us how to also reverse a single phase small motor with a video and sketches!
Thanks

thanks for reading, watching and participating in the exchange of information

Thanks Doc! Looking fwd to more. Dunno if there's going to be much of an exchange as with me it's going to be all one direction :) But of course I've got a weird one. I've got a 1/3hp Dayton Split Phase 40rpm gear motor my brother gave me. After putting our heads together we finally got it to go. I mounted an extra diamond wheel on it and wanted to make it into tool bit hone and it worked fine. But it seemed to have a buzz about it last I used it and now won't start, only buzz. I suspect a start cap but it doesn't have a cap on the exterior like on my old Atlas 7b motor had. This motor can be wired also for reverse which would be handy.

Can you show us how to also reverse a single phase small motor with a video and sketches!
Thanks
thanks for looking!

I did a video like that about 2 years ago, with a Square D drum switch and a Leeson motor
If you can post a picture of the switch and motor you have, i’m sure i can make it run.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc! Looking fwd to more. Dunno if there's going to be much of an exchange as with me it's going to be all one direction :) But of course I've got a weird one. I've got a 1/3hp Dayton Split Phase 40rpm gear motor my brother gave me. After putting our heads together we finally got it to go. I mounted an extra diamond wheel on it and wanted to make it into tool bit hone and it worked fine. But it seemed to have a buzz about it last I used it and now won't start, only buzz. I suspect a start cap but it doesn't have a cap on the exterior like on my old Atlas 7b motor had. This motor can be wired also for reverse which would be handy.
i'm happy you find interest, thank you!
Sorry C-Bag, your gear motor motor may be toast :mad:.
your start winding may have a fault, or possibly a fault in the centrifugal switch or associated wiring
split phase motors don't have start capacitors.
it won't hurt to take it apart before you go get another.
sometimes the gear reduction units can be transferred to other motors of similar manufacture.

here is a easy to follow drawing of the first switch presented in the video as i wired it

Latching Switch.jpg

Last edited:
here is the drawing for the second starting method in my video

Latching Circuit 1.jpg

Last edited:
here is the drawing for the third method of starting the motor in the video

Latching Circuit 2.jpg

and here is the drawing for the 4th method as shown in the video

TOGGLE SWITCH LATCH CIRCUIT.jpg

Last edited:
Back