4800 vs 6300

guero_gordo

Registered
Registered
I've read the lathes.com articles on these, but I'm still a bit mystified.
Locally there is a 4804 available with QCGB and a small pile of extras vs a not-so-local 6319 with QCTP and VSGB
My understanding is that the 4800 is a lighter tool with .75" spindle bore while the 6300 is a more substantial beast with 1 3/8", but I'm more than a bit clueless about the differences between these.
Observations and opinions welcome, and thanks in advance

My impression is that the 48xx series are hard to find parts for, as fewer were made.
It may also have a less sophisticated spindle bearing arrangement (may have ball bearings instead of tapered rollers).

From what I read, 4800 was just a rebadged 100, which had Timken bearings from the start. Rarity could still be an issue though

After Atlas bought Clausing in 1949/50, they assigned new model numbers to apparently everything that Clausing built and they also changed the name on the badge to Atlas. Rumor has it that they lost an order or maybe several orders from the latter move so they went back to the Clausing name but stuck with the new numbers. So a 4800 series machine is at least initially the same as a100 Mark 3. And most if not all parts are the same.
The 6300 series is a substantially heavier machine. But I don't have any feel for relative parts cost.

Back