4c collets

Tan4x4

Registered
Registered
I was going through all the tooling that I got with my lathe and found the collet draw bar and milling attachment. there was no collets. can I use any 4c collets ? I did not find an insert for the collets on the face plate side I could make one or is it best to buy one that matches the collet brand.
thank you

Tan.

Hopefully your drawbar is actually a draw tube. Drawbars are solid.

If the native collets for your machine are 4C, you can use any brand. I would strongly recommend buying a collet closer rather than trying to make one. And its brand shouldn't matter, either.

The outside of the collet closer should be the same taper as in your spindle nose. The ID should be just over 0.950". The taper at the front should be 11 degrees (22 total).

it is a tube. thanks for the information. I will measure the spindle diameter so i get the right collets.

I forgot to add that the thread on the 4C collet is supposedly (I only have two reference for this sort of info on the 4C but at least they agree) 0.938"-20. The back bearing diameter is 0.950". The length to the OD of the taper is 3.000" and the max rated capacity for rounds is 3/4". By comparison, the 5C has 1.238-20 threads, back bearing diameter of 1.250", length of 3.281.and a max capacity of 1-1/16". I think that the minimum size taper to hold a 5C closer is MT4.5. And that the minimum taper for 4C is MT4. What does your machine have?

the front diameter is 1.11 inch and the back is 1.05 inch. I am going to order a mt4 center for it this week the one i found in the tooling is to small.

OK. That's close to what the Handbook says for MT4. And definitely not either MT3 or MT5.

Back