4th axis servo controlled rotary table build

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to build a 4th axis for my CNC mill. I should be getting the rotary table in the mail in about a week. I will be posting pictures as I go along :).

The rotary table is one from eBay. It is of the 8" variety. I believe the brand is CME.

The servo and drive is from Leadshine and is 400w.

Here are a couple pictures of the servo and drive:

20180109_202924.jpg

20180109_202942.jpg

servo.jpg

Suggestion. Make the three jaw chuck "adjust true" type. Being able to dial your part to have zero run out is critical on many parts. This is not a real difficult task to add to any chuck.

It appears I wont have room to just mount the servo inline with the worm screw. I will make a bracket and hang tge servo behid the rotary table.

15157814797071233425982.jpg

1515781497178715328331.jpg

The two pulleys and the belt have been ordered and should come some time this week. Looks like All I will need to do is fab up a bracket. Jim Dawson suggested that I could cut two linear slots for the four screws that the servo would use for mounting. That way I can easily adjust belt tension. Sounded like a great idea to me :cool:.

The two pulleys and the belt have been ordered and should come some time this week. Looks like All I will need to do is fab up a bracket. Jim Dawson suggested that I could cut two linear slots for the four screws that the servo would use for mounting. That way I can easily adjust belt tension. Sounded like a great idea to me :cool:.

That's what i did. i also put a large pulley on the RT to mathc the size of the handwheel. A small one on the servo gave a 5:1 gearing gave a real torque advantage

Did you plan out your ratio? I would do that first. You want a ratio that gives you more whole numbers than not. Whole numbers will increase your division accuracy.

Back