4th axis servo controlled rotary table build

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to build a 4th axis for my CNC mill. I should be getting the rotary table in the mail in about a week. I will be posting pictures as I go along :).

The rotary table is one from eBay. It is of the 8" variety. I believe the brand is CME.

The servo and drive is from Leadshine and is 400w.

Here are a couple pictures of the servo and drive:

20180109_202924.jpg

20180109_202942.jpg

servo.jpg

F
What a cool project, nice work!. I can see a 3-D printed belt cover in your future or perhaps a Kydex formed that could screw onto the edge of your base plate.
Very cool indeed, thank for sharing.
Paco

What a cool project, nice work!. I can see a 3-D printed belt cover in your future or perhaps a Kydex formed that could screw onto the edge of your base plate.
Very cool indeed, thank for sharing.
Paco

You know, I always keep forgetting that 3D printers are another option :). I was looking at that belt yesterday and thinking "Ya know, I should really put some kind of guard on that thing so oil and chips don't get lodged in the cogs". I was thinking about machining some kind of aluminum guard or something like that, but It would be a pretty good waste of a bar of aluminum just to cover up the works. On the other hand, possibly 3D printing a plastic guard or even just making a sheet aluminum guard that is held together with rivets may be another option. Also, I could make a foam core molded fiberglass guard as well...Hmmm, perhaps that would be the ticket since I don't have a 3D printer. I can just hack and sand a piece of Styrofoam with the came shape of the aluminum bracket and just do a layup on the foam directly. After it dries, I can remove the foam.

Here is a part I will likely test with the 4th axis once I get a chuck mounted on it. It's 2" OD and 3" length.

test part.jpg

The 6" chuck came in. Tomorrow I plan to machine out the adapter base for the 4th axis so it can be bolted down to the center T-slot on the mill table. Also, I need to machine out four special T-slots for the 4th axis face so the chuck can be adjusted to be as concentric as possible.

20180209_120108.jpg

Back