4x6" bandsaw options

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm looking at getting a 4x6" bandsaw. It looks like I have several options.

Cost is always a concern, but more important to me is size and power. I do not currently have 220v available, and while I could probably make a larger saw fit into my space, I don't really see the need for a larger saw and I need it portable so am limited to something on wheels in the 100-150lb weight range. This requirement pretty much limits me to the 4x6" class. I know the 4x6" Harbor Freight saw has many supporters.

The Harbor Freight / Central Machinery 4x6" seems to be the standard for comparison, $259, 115v and listed shipping weight is 131 lbs, they don't give actual weight anywhere I can find. Says it has a 6.4 amp, 1 hp motor. 90 day warranty.

Home Depot offers a Wen 4x6" which looks to me to be nearly identical to the Harbor Freight saw, $239, 115v, 109lbs, lists a 4.6 amp 3/4hp motor, same exact speed ratings 80/120/200. Parts breakdown in the manuals is very close to identical, just numbered differently. 2 year warranty.

Home Depot also lists a General International, marked down to $299 (was $417). No longer listed on the GI website so I suspect it has been discontinued. Also looks very similar to the Harbor Freight saw but possibly using castings for some parts in place of stamped metal. About 60 fewer parts listed than the HF saw. 115v, 5 amp 1/2 hp motor, 121lbs 3 speed 80/120/180. 2 year warranty

Grizzly also has a 4x6", again very similar to the others. $339, 115v, 117lbs lists a 5 amp 3/4hp motor, 3 speeds 78 / 108 / 180. 1 year warranty

All saws use the same 64-1/2 x 1/2" blade.

From there it looks like Jet's 5x6" bandsaw would be the next logical step, but at $640 it is more than twice the price of the others, with nearly identical specs to the HF saw except for the motor which is rated 5 amp, 1/2hp. It is upgradable to 220v, don't know what benefit that provides. Also uses a 64-1/2" blade. 2 year warranty.

I don't know how well I trust the motor ratings, I don't understand how a 4.6 amp motor can be rated 3/4 hp while a 5 amp is only rated 1/2 hp.

A major advantage to the saws sold at Home Depot is I have one 10 minutes away and they offer free shipping to the store, the nearest Harbor Freight is 70 miles away.

I've have been watching Craigslist and Ebay. Relatively small saws like this rarely come and they are almost always the HF saw when they do. Most are 7x12 or larger and 220v or unspecified power.

I'd be very interested to hear opinions on the other saws. It isn't hard to find info on the Harbor Freight. I'm particularly interested in the Wen as I suspect it may be the same saw as the HF / Central Machinery so the many DIY upgrades out there would also apply to it.

If you got time to search for a used saw, consider the Roll-in type saws:
http://www.rollinsaw.com/band_saws/EF1459_vertical_band_saw.htm

You get both a regular cut bandsaw and a vertical saw. WAY more versatile than a 4x6. And less floor space, very important in my too tight shop.

I found one for $400 a couple years ago. Not the roll-in brand, but this style.

Karl

I vote for the Wen/ Home Depot one! 239$ and 2 year warranty sounds good

If space is a major concern I have a left wall suggestion. The 'portable' bandsaws come in corded and uncorded flavors. I have a 7" x 12" but about 1/2 of the time a portable one would be more suitable. I have seen on the You Tube frames made to accept the portable bandsaws for use on a bench, I've also seen commercial offerings.
This would give you a lot of usage options in a small package, for instance where I slot my saw means I have to move a couple of items , pull it out and then use. Long items take a bit of time repositioning. One day when I can afford one I'll get a portable not to replace what I have but just for the convenience.

I have a Jet 5x6, maybe 15+ years old. It has cut clean and straight since the day I first set it up. In all this time, I think I've gone through only 3 Lenox Bi-metal blades. The Jet saws are not kit saws like the HF variety, at least from the threads I've seen on it. Good saw. Paid a bit over $300 for it, new and local to me.

If space is a major concern I have a left wall suggestion. The 'portable' bandsaws come in corded and uncorded flavors. I have a 7" x 12" but about 1/2 of the time a portable one would be more suitable. I have seen on the You Tube frames made to accept the portable bandsaws for use on a bench, I've also seen commercial offerings.
This would give you a lot of usage options in a small package, for instance where I slot my saw means I have to move a couple of items , pull it out and then use. Long items take a bit of time repositioning. One day when I can afford one I'll get a portable not to replace what I have but just for the convenience.

I've considered those, and there is a lot to like with them for my situation. Unlike the 4x6" saws those do show up used quite frequently. Other than having to build some kind of framework for them, the downside seems to be that they lack the auto shut off so you can just set it cutting and do something else while it does the work. I'd never leave a running tool unattended, but it would be nice not to stand right over the saw as it does its thing. Be nice to get in a game of Angry Birds or something. :D

Of course after saying I never see 4x6 saws except HF ones used, there are two Rong Fu saws that appear to be 4x6" band saws for sale near my dads house for about the price of a new HF. I don't know the brand but what I've read it sounds like they make industrial grade tools, so probably a step or two above most of those I listed.

My Rong Fu has cut miles of steel, set them up right, get good blades , and your set ! .

Of course after saying I never see 4x6 saws except HF ones used, there are two Rong Fu saws that appear to be 4x6" band saws for sale near my dads house for about the price of a new HF. I don't know the brand but what I've read it sounds like they make industrial grade tools, so probably a step or two above most of those I listed.

Rong Fu is a Taiwanese company. Their saws should be pretty good compared to the Chinese HF-type saws, I would think. Jet saws are also made in Taiwan.

Thanks, one looks damaged, but the other looks pretty good. If I can figure out how to get down there by the weekend I may try and snag it. I like the name too, it doesn't sound like it should be a good tool.

I know Jet is a good brand, if I ran across a used one under $400 I'd try to snag it. I just don't see nearly $700 for a new one happening any time soon.

Baby still needs a set of boring bars. :)

Back