4x6" bandsaw options

When I retired my TWS 4x6, it was on it's third motor. Chinese motor HPs are what ever they feel like printing on the tag. Not to be believed. Like Craftsman did. A caution though, cooling isn't the best on them, they have smoked.

I used a 4x6 Harbor Freight bandsaw for several years for light commercial work. It finally started having failures, and I also started running into more and more jobs it was not big enough for. I finally decided I need a bigger saw. After much shopping around and atleast one false start I started looking at Harbor Freight again. Not because I wanted cheap, but because I needed it now, and Precision Mathews was out of stock. The HF 7x12 is still shown on the website. but I had not seen one in the local store in a couple years. I was about to buy one off their website with a 20% off coupon code when I decided to call the local store. It turns out they do stock them. They just don't display them. I had to pay city sales tax, but I saved freight. Saved me about 50 bucks right there. With the 20% off coupon the saw was a lot cheaper than any other option in that size class. I expected a clunky upscale version of the 4x6, but when I started unboxing and setting it up I was very pleasantly surprised. It may not be built as well as some of the other imports, but this saw is very much a better than average quality saw for harbor freight. I've already used it for cutting 4140HT flat bar, angles in A36 steel tube, round 4140QT, and aluminum flat bar. Absolutely no issues, and the pneumatic feed perfectly. Before I ever rolled it inside the shop I plugged it and did a test cut in apiece of 2" EMT. With the pneumatic feed set I barely even noticed a change in pitch when it transitioned from the wide entrance cut to the thin cuts on the sidewalls of the tube. I've had it for a little while now (couple weeks maybe) and its not at all new tool glow. I still like it very much. Its definitely a better quality tool than the 4x6. I wish I had bought this one to begin with.

Other notes.

1. It can be setup for 110 or 220. Mine came setup for 110V. I may switch it over to 220 down the road, but I have not decided where its permanent home will be yet.

2. If you want to run coolant it comes with a coolant pump and reservoir. I have not used that yet. My shop is messy enough, but after it finds its permanent home I might.

3. The 1HP motor on the 7x12 is physically larger than the "1HP" motor on the 4x6. I suspect that means it either has larger windings and/or that it really is 1HP. Those are both good things.

4. It is larger than the 4x6, but not all that much. Takes about the same amount of space as a decent roll around air compressor.

I found a Jet 5x6 on CL for $150 but it got away before I could snag it.

HF had their 20% off coupon good today through Sunday and I had to go to Santa Rosa anyway so one of their 4x6 models followed me home this afternoon. Hard to say no to a $205 bandsaw.

It just barely fit in the trunk of the car, another inch and I don't think the lid would have closed.

One of the most popular mods for these among guys who use them all the time is to add an air cylinder to control down feed. If you are cutting tube it can really reduce jambing and binding and increase blade life. I found the SuperCut blades from Harbor Freight gave me the best performance over all on that saw. (The more expensive ones they sell.) I tried some Starret blades and they didn't perform as well for me personally. I am sure there must be other blades that would perform better, but I found it was easiest to just pop over to HF when I busted a blade and pick up a new one. I never was impressed with blade life, but my one foray into another blade was disappointing. HF is nearby for me. Maybe 6-7 miles at the most, so it as easiest to just pop over there and buy blades. To my knowledge nobody else in town stocks metal cutting bandsaw blades.

I like the MK Morse blades, also the inexpensive Starrett Brazil-made blades seem OK so far (both available at Zoro)
Mark

I like the MK Morse blades, also the inexpensive Starrett Brazil-made blades seem OK so far (both available at Zoro)
Mark

I'll have to check those out. I have a 7x10 saw now (Still have the 4x6-8) and I didn't see spare blades for it hanging on the wall at HF for it. I need to get a spare hanging on my wall before I break or wear out the blade it came with. So far I do really like the wider blade a lot better.

HP on the saw isn't really a problem , remember it's driving a worm gear to turn the blade . Really a 1/4=HP rated will still turn the worm at the same speed even under the cutting load it would be hard to stop. The output rating would be much higher then the motor itself.

I did grab one of the HF bi-metal blades (the $30 one) since I've read they don't include a very good quality blade with the saw. I just got it to get me started with and didn't want to sit around waiting to order one online somewhere. Good to hear that these sound like decent blades, maybe I won't have to replace it right away.

HF isn't nearby, but it is on the way for about 80% of my out of town travels. There are a couple of potential sources in town, but most likely I';; just order a few at a time online.

I see there are a ton HF 4x6 modifications threads so I'll be nosing around in there as well as I get this one set up.

Reactions: Z2V
Good Grief. If you want to buy blades and the ones that come with most saws are garbage, go buy some good blades that are reasonably priced buy Ellis Bandsaw Blades. They also make really high end band saws. When you call them to order just tell them the size of blade and what you are cutting. They will advise you on the best blades for your situation. No bull just great service and a quality product. I don't have any connection to the company other then a very satisfied customer. I buy both metal and wood cutting blades from them.

One of the most popular mods for these among guys who use them all the time is to add an air cylinder to control down feed. If you are cutting tube it can really reduce jambing and binding and increase blade life. I found the SuperCut blades from Harbor Freight gave me the best performance over all on that saw. (The more expensive ones they sell.) I tried some Starret blades and they didn't perform as well for me personally. I am sure there must be other blades that would perform better, but I found it was easiest to just pop over to HF when I busted a blade and pick up a new one. I never was impressed with blade life, but my one foray into another blade was disappointing. HF is nearby for me. Maybe 6-7 miles at the most, so it as easiest to just pop over there and buy blades. To my knowledge nobody else in town stocks metal cutting bandsaw blades.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the SuperCut blade, too. I had really low expectations, but so far the one that replaced my kinked Starret is cutting like a champ. And yes, I didn't even bother running the blade that came with the saw.

Back