[4]

4x6 bandsaw pulleys messed up

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
They don't run true and don't stay put. I can only assume the wobbling is causing enough vibration to loosen the set screws. If I try to use the belts in other than the middle speed, they fly off. :) Otherwise the thing cuts fine, if a bit noisy. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and how they fixed it. I figure I'll be replacing the pulleys after I ensure the shafts are reasonably straight.

No warranty, so I'm on my own to fix it.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If the shafts are not bent the easiest is to purchase the pulley(s) from Grizzly. Motor pulley is $8.00 and the gearbox pulley is $9.00.

Roy

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I had a similar issue with my motor pulley- I finally fixed it by drilling and tapping for a second setscrew on an adjacent groove.
On my gearbox pulley I put two setscrews in the same hole, one on top of the other. No more loosening.
mark

NortonDommi

Registered
I've struck crappy castings a few times plus bed machining e.g. off-center holes, tapered bores etc. If the shafts are O.K. sometimes it's worth boring the pulley out true, making and fitting a sleeve. At least then you know everything is square to the world.

ttabbal

I'll check those out thanks for the tips!

ttabbal

Well, I received pulleys from Grizzly today. Took the old ones off and started examining things more closely. The shafts are as straight as one would expect from HF, +/-0.002ish. Good enough. The replacement pulleys are a fair bit smaller and for a different belt. pfftttt... The worm gear one doesn't even have a slot cut for the key. On the up side, I did order a matching belt, figuring the old one was probably due for replacement anyway, so at least I have one that will work.

With the new pulleys and belt, I think it will run. But I'll have to bore out the holes about 1mm each, and cut a keyway in the one. I can probably get a good enough keyway cut with the mill.

The current pulleys are REALLY bad. Suitable for being melted down, not much else. Cathartic smashing with a large hammer might be in order. I had to use a gear puller to get one of them off, it was mangled pretty badly.

ttabbal

Got it going. The keyway I cut isn't great, but it's good enough. And it's much quieter without those pulleys rattling around.

Aaron_W

Weird that the pulleys didn't match. I bought a set of replacement pulleys from Grizzly for my HF 4x6 and they were a perfect match.

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Weird that the pulleys didn't match. I bought a set of replacement pulleys from Grizzly for my HF 4x6 and they were a perfect match.

Probably the age of machines. The older ones probably had larger shafts. HF probably figured they could get away with a smaller shaft saving cost upping profits seems pretty standard these days unfortunately.

ddickey

I just made a new pulley for mine as it came broken. It was a good project.

[6]
[5] [7]