5/8 metal cutting Bandsaw blades.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok I have a old Johnson band saw that takes 7' 9' with 5/8 blade thickness. Problem is I am having problems finding blades for it.
Any one know a good place to get some. Got a few old ones when I got the saw but most had some teeth gone, rusted etc. All are now finally gone so I need to find a place to get some either purchase of made. This is a good old saw so need to figure something out. Would hate to gave go give up and get new one when this one has been fully rebuilt a few years ago.

Any info would be grateful

Blades come in rolls of like 100 feet. You can weld them yourself and save significant money. There are also vendors that make custom blades that way.

problem Is most that I have looked at do not carry 5/8 blades or material Did not even find 5/8 listed when I looked at Lenox. I have never made a blade, and my silver soldering is not all that good.

From my link here is 5/8 BLADE

What model Johnson saw is it?

And here it is on Lenox page. looks like 10/14 very pitch is the only option.

Last edited:
Mcmaster- carr has them listed in a 10 or 14 tpi for @ $19 each... or a 10/14 anti-vibration for @ $38...

-Bear

Does the blade actually have to be 5/8 why can't a 9/16 or even 1/2 inch blade work.

Give Ellis Saw company a call. They have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", ….. up to 2" in bi metal. They also have 5/8" among other sizes in both hardback carbon and flexback.
They will custom make any size and style you want. I purchase 3/4" x 98 1/2" bimetal blades for my Startrite bandsaw from them. These blades cost about $44.00 each with a minimum order of 2 blades. The blades are good quality and seem to last about 2 years on my saw when using it 10 to 15 hours a month.

Here's a link to their in stock sizes:

Thanks all, I guess my search just not working right. But at least
The saw is an old Kysor Johnson Model R SN 1338 looks a lot like the old Model B, Did a full tear down and rebuild to include all new bearings and even the gears in the gearbox were replaced several years ago.

I with it would take 1/2 blades but the wheels are to deep for that size. and a 3/4 is to deep and to where the blade does not come down properly it digs into the base.

Back