5/8 x 11 Thread Wrong

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an Enco 12 x 36 lathe and just found out that the chart for 11 tpi is wrong:apologize:
I was making an arbor for a project and needed a 5/8 x 11 thread on the end of it. Set the lathe per the chart, in a hurry and did not check the scratch pass and proceeded to cut the thread. Store bought nut won't fit so get the thread gauge and check the thread---NOT 11. Double and triple check the setup from chart--everything is right.
I did not check other sizes from thread gauge, I was tired so locked up the shop.
Tomorrow I will check the other sizes with thread gauge and maybe figure out what is wrong.

jocat54

Active User
Well I feel pretty stupid--going claim a senior moment:grin:
I did not read the chart very well at all the times I looked at it.
It calls for 22t gear not the 24t that is normally used on it--now I have to find my change gears.:)

projectnut

Registered
Registered
It's a tough lesson to learn, but we've all been there a time or two. Many years ago I was making a back plate for a lathe chuck. The internal thread size was 1 7/16-12. Unfortunately I grabbed the wrong gear and threaded it 11 1/2 tpi. Whoops. In this case I was able to bore out the threads press in a bushing, pin it in place, and try again. I now put the chuck with the fancy backing plate on the rack in plain sight to remind myself to double check my setup BEFORE I start to cut.

rdean

Active User
I did the exact same thing last week but I didn't know what was wrong until now.
Thank you
Ray

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
When I read your first post I thought "it's probably the change gear" Don't ask how I knew that, LOL

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I have a 5/6 - 18 tpi stainless steel stud that I made. It's a beautiful thread but no nut to match. Is wasn't that the change gear that was wrong.......the wrong gear in the old noggin.

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Mine doesn't even list the 11tpi option - thinking I'll check to see what gear would give me that option. All of my mill accessories seem to call for that exact thread.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock