5/8 x 11 Thread Wrong

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an Enco 12 x 36 lathe and just found out that the chart for 11 tpi is wrong:apologize:
I was making an arbor for a project and needed a 5/8 x 11 thread on the end of it. Set the lathe per the chart, in a hurry and did not check the scratch pass and proceeded to cut the thread. Store bought nut won't fit so get the thread gauge and check the thread---NOT 11. Double and triple check the setup from chart--everything is right.
I did not check other sizes from thread gauge, I was tired so locked up the shop.
Tomorrow I will check the other sizes with thread gauge and maybe figure out what is wrong.

Well I feel pretty stupid--going claim a senior moment:grin:
I did not read the chart very well at all the times I looked at it.
It calls for 22t gear not the 24t that is normally used on it--now I have to find my change gears.:)

It's a tough lesson to learn, but we've all been there a time or two. Many years ago I was making a back plate for a lathe chuck. The internal thread size was 1 7/16-12. Unfortunately I grabbed the wrong gear and threaded it 11 1/2 tpi. Whoops. In this case I was able to bore out the threads press in a bushing, pin it in place, and try again. I now put the chuck with the fancy backing plate on the rack in plain sight to remind myself to double check my setup BEFORE I start to cut.

I did the exact same thing last week but I didn't know what was wrong until now.
Thank you
Ray

When I read your first post I thought "it's probably the change gear" Don't ask how I knew that, LOL

I have a 5/6 - 18 tpi stainless steel stud that I made. It's a beautiful thread but no nut to match. Is wasn't that the change gear that was wrong.......the wrong gear in the old noggin.

Mine doesn't even list the 11tpi option - thinking I'll check to see what gear would give me that option. All of my mill accessories seem to call for that exact thread.

Back