• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

5-c collet brand

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
i need 16 5-c collets to complete a full set. what i need are small sizes in 1/32s and 1/64s . any suggestions as to what cheap brand i should look at?

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Lowest price is the best brand.

Cobra

Active User
Individual I get from KBC. They are about $12 CDN each.

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I bought the Shars 18 piece set 1/16-1-1/8 yesterday during Ebays 20% off sale. $66 free shipping. I can't see why they wont meet my needs and look forward to having them.

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I have sets of 1/8" - 1 1/8" in 1/32" and 1/64" increments from CDCOtools.com. I haven't had problems with any of their collets. However, I don't see individuals for sale from their web site. I added 1/16", 5/64", 3/32" and 7/64" collets from CME tools in Madison Heights, MI for around the same cost as from Shars. I've had good luck with stuff from Shars as Dave mentioned above.

Bruce

rgray

Active User
Amazon has quite a selection. Including Hardinge
I have the CDCO and they have done good for 6 years. Only thing is the threads are not all the same size. After stripping out a couple of
drawbars I marked the undersized collets and use them in a separate drawbar that has smaller threads to match them.
I also made replaceable hardened ends for my drawbars.

[6]
[5] [7]