5" Shop Vice

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I busted my old China made 4" vice. I would like to buy an American made 5" vice but I am not having any luck for under several hundred dollars. Not that I don't mind spending more for USA Made, it's just overkill for my little cart that I want to put it on. So China made it is. Here are a couple I have looked at.

Here is a USA made vice, and super nice but spindy!

This is my first choice!

Here is a Wilton 5" made in China, but at an extra $100 bucks I'm not sure it's any better then the Forward vice of my number one choice.

Here is another Wilton I believe also made in China but at $340 bucks it's probably a nice vice.

Tim

I would go for the $99 vise, which I only use for gripping, squeezing and beating on, and put the savings toward a good mill vise, where it matters.

I know how this sounds, but hear me out...

Why don't you go to tailgate sales and garage sales, be patient and pick up a US made Wilton or British (or American) made Record. I second the craigslist or Kijiji approach.

I'm going to get flamed for this but I've used both Wilton and Record vises in an industrial context. I'm 100% on the Record side.

Thanks for the input guys, I kind of like the one that @jwmelvin posted. I have checked out CL some nothing close to me, shipping even across the state for a vice is probably about a dollar a pound. I will keep an I on CL and Facebook market place for a few days before ordering one.

I bought one of these from Fireball Tools, and I’m quite happy with it:

Unfortunately, they’re currently out of stock if you’re in a hurry for one.

He now makes an 1500$ version...

I saw that. Yikes! $$$

The smaller ones are made overseas and re branded. I found an identical one as the Capri Tools 10515. A Yost ADI-5 may or may not be the same thing painted red; photos of it vary slightly.

Back