5" Shop Vice

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
look thru my pics on imgur... When I called it a big vise, it's because it weighs a ton, but it is small but I trust it way more than my 6" crapsman.

jwmelvin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hope it works out for you. It’s not perfect but does the trick for a lot of things.

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
It's not like I need a precision vise for my little welding table. I received in the mail clamped it to the table and welded 2.5' to a 10' post. The swivel head worked great.

20211023_181813_copy_1612x907.jpg

Alcap

On my small welding table I have a old 4” vice on one and and a pipe vice on the other after looking at the vice you got that would be much better then what I’m using ! Being able to rotate 360’ on both the flat and pipe jaws would help a amateur welder like me !

BROCKWOOD

Got sold on getting a Yost myself! My phone took a crap today, though, so couldn't finish the deal. Bummer. Probably for the best. I have an old vise that is similar + a 6" Grizzly machinist vise that I use on my combo lathe / mill + a 6" & a 8" Kurt awaiting restoration for my big mill. I really like the 360 rotation of the other axis though! Yea, was thinking on moving my old vise to the woodshed. Guess I better get my phone sorted 1st.

Nice choice!

Dabbler

Administrator
Staff member
I used round in a reciever for years. it works well.

Since I hammer a lot on items in the vise, I found it rotated more than I'd like, and I hated 'chasing' it... so:

I took a sqare solid and milled the corners to make it an octagon. Now I have 8 positions to put into the reciever instead of 4, and it doesn't rotate, and no tightening bolt to stop rotation either...

BROCKWOOD

The receiver is a great idea! Mine was poorly executed - but it was free. Another great use of the receiver is a bracket to mount a car transmission. Vertical reassembly has it's benefits.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock