5" Shop Vice

I bought one of these from Fireball Tools, and I’m quite happy with it:

Unfortunately, they’re currently out of stock if you’re in a hurry for one.
Did it come with the copper jaws as well for that price or are those extra?

I really liked that one… bookmarked

Did it come with the copper jaws as well for that price or are those extra?

I believe copper jaws used to be available for purchase separately, but they no longer sell them. Mine didn’t come with copper jaws, but I did 3D print a plastic set.

I'm not a big fan of the vice the Torco... in my book, this is a low end vise. The screw should be protected. It's also way overpriced.

I would wait for something better. Even my Craftsman 6" looks better than that.

I have a Chas. Parker that I got for $30 at a farm sale years ago. It's heavy.. it's great.. they are out there. Just keep looking.
I don't buy new for this. The Crapsman was $25 at a garage sale.

I saw that. Yikes! $$$

The smaller ones are made overseas and re branded. I found an identical one as the Capri Tools 10515. A Yost ADI-5 may or may not be the same thing painted red; photos of it vary slightly.

Looks like you are correct with the Yost ADI-5... what confused me was the base. Fireball's is 4 bolt base the ADI-5 is three bolts.

What I liked about that design is the ease of clamping something that would be on the side... a longer piece.

Anyway, did not mean to derail your thread. I am also looking for a vise, but not in a hurry... I saved this inexpensive p.o.s. from a friends backyard... It was a complete chunk of rust... A lot of cleaning and it works for now.

IMG-7942.jpeg

I'm not a big fan of the vice the Torco... in my book, this is a low end vise. The screw should be protected. It's also way overpriced.

I would wait for something better. Even my Craftsman 6" looks better than that.

I have a Chas. Parker that I got for $30 at a farm sale years ago. It's heavy.. it's great.. they are out there. Just keep looking.
I don't buy new for this. The Crapsman was $25 at a garage sale.

Yeah... I have been checking Craigslist and FB Market Place almost everyday... Reminds me I have not checked today... will be right back :D

I bought one of these from Fireball Tools, and I’m quite happy with it:

Unfortunately, they’re currently out of stock if you’re in a hurry for one.

I like that vise, too bad there not available right now.

Thanks for the input guys, I kind of like the one that @jwmelvin posted. I have checked out CL some nothing close to me, shipping even across the state for a vice is probably about a dollar a pound. I will keep an I on CL and Facebook market place for a few days before ordering one.
"for a few days"... well, if you are in a hurry then yes, you may have to order an import and pay more for less quality.

In my opinion, the point of Craigslist (and facebook market place, and the old newspaper classifieds) is not to deliver something to you right when you want it. It's to let you find the good deals that come up once in a while. Check craiglist while you are drinking your morning coffee, or whenever you feel like killing a few minutes. Don't just search for "vise", look through the tools listings and see what catches your eye. I found a beautiful Japan made vise that was 5 miles from me and cost $10 that way. Some dude clearing out his dad's garage. Was I looking for a vise? Nope. Did I snatch up that vise like a seagull grabbing popcorn? You betcha!

Yeah "A few days" is a little short isn't it? LOL

I'm not looking for a big vise, it's going on a small mobile welding cart. I already have a 6" vise, it's probably a 40 year old china unit. It looks like a Wilton but has no name on it. So, I'm really not in that big of rush.

Tim

Back