5" Shop Vice

look thru my pics on imgur... When I called it a big vise, it's because it weighs a ton, but it is small but I trust it way more than my 6" crapsman.

Hope it works out for you. It’s not perfect but does the trick for a lot of things.

It's not like I need a precision vise for my little welding table. I received in the mail clamped it to the table and welded 2.5' to a 10' post. The swivel head worked great.

20211023_181813_copy_1612x907.jpg

On my small welding table I have a old 4” vice on one and and a pipe vice on the other after looking at the vice you got that would be much better then what I’m using ! Being able to rotate 360’ on both the flat and pipe jaws would help a amateur welder like me !

Got sold on getting a Yost myself! My phone took a crap today, though, so couldn't finish the deal. Bummer. Probably for the best. I have an old vise that is similar + a 6" Grizzly machinist vise that I use on my combo lathe / mill + a 6" & a 8" Kurt awaiting restoration for my big mill. I really like the 360 rotation of the other axis though! Yea, was thinking on moving my old vise to the woodshed. Guess I better get my phone sorted 1st.

Nice choice!

I used round in a reciever for years. it works well.

Since I hammer a lot on items in the vise, I found it rotated more than I'd like, and I hated 'chasing' it... so:

I took a sqare solid and milled the corners to make it an octagon. Now I have 8 positions to put into the reciever instead of 4, and it doesn't rotate, and no tightening bolt to stop rotation either...

The receiver is a great idea! Mine was poorly executed - but it was free. Another great use of the receiver is a bracket to mount a car transmission. Vertical reassembly has it's benefits.

Back