$500 knee mill. . .zero bids. . .Lockport, LA

What the winner pays, is one of two possibilities. What it is worth to him, or what comparable local items run; then cost to reel it in.
Have to decide what you'll look for, the max dollar amount, and plans to retrieve. Auctions are OK, but you never know who competition is. Bid small to open and hold off until it slows down then throw your max at it. You'll win or loose, that part doesn't cost a dime, and experience unobtainable.

I needed decking for mezzanines. Searched out materials regularly. A hugely advertised industrial re-use site had standard metal grating that worked out to about $2800.00, ~$5.40 psf, for 528 sq. ft.
Diligence paid off, found fiberglass decking, also used but full size 4'x12's. 1776 sq. ft. worth for 3 decks, 12'x44', and two of 12'x24' $1600.00. So, was a pleasant roundtrip to Central PA worth it?
Been looking for a 'compact' radial drill. Almost won a Wells-Index Model 125 until it passed value boundary. Nice design, I'm familiar with them, waist high table, step pulley, radial function swivels the 4" column, ram is on rollers. It's just a Bridgeport head in #3MT, a serious limitation in my book, around 4-500 miles away.
Found a Veet instead! 7hp, #4MT, trigger-eject spindle, 6" column still supported by company that also stocks Axelson lathe parts. Won for less than 1/2 that of the Wells, and gladly head to NJ for it.
Can go awhile on compact radials; #1 Donau, #Oerlikon, #Veet, #American TW, #4 Morris, Carlton, they are scarce. There are good Euro and Japanese radials.
Don't waste money rounding up a Johansen. Popular being a lot around, so people know them, that jacks price up, but the elevating table slides on a grossly narrow Vee way, not stable at all. What good is 3' of range if corners deflect?
Message_1645716328268.jpg

It came with a handy vise......
20220224_091149.jpg

Last edited:
What the Muppet said.
I’ve done a couple online auctions and made out decent with some real bargains.
I’ll add: definitely keep the fees in mind! For mine the auction percentage was 18% plus PA sales tax of 6% AFTER that. That’s 24% (like others have said)
Like everything, the more informed you are on going Craigslist/Facebook prices in your area plus ebay prices lets you make informed decisions.

I have been pretty happy with the condition of stuff I’ve gotten from shop closing/liquidation auctions as there are generally well taken care of etc. I mean, it was IN a shop before I bought it… not “from a shop but banging around in my garage rusting up for a couple years but now I’m selling it” or “got it from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a shop” like you get on Craigslist and Facebook….

Some things that we hobbyists are interested in are not what the big buyers are looking for. I just won a Mitutoyo 0-1” blade mike with case AND cardboard case sleeve for $30… that’s $37.20 after all fees….

That was minimum bid…. No one else bid… The 20-30 micrometers sold for either minimum bid or had NO bid….
Mitutoyo digital mikes with case/case sleeve and a STAND were going for $60-$80…. Killed me but I have only so large a budget….

I did get the surface plates I wanted, not for quite as cheap as I was hoping… but better than all the pricing I see from around my area:

$60 x 24%for a lot with 12x18 cast plate, 6.5x11.25 lapping plate and some kind of huge chunk of 14x16 plate?

Brown & Sharpe 18x12x 3.5 for $150 x 24%

Metroplate 12x9x4 for $105 x 24%

The other things you need to make SURE you check are 1) do tyey take credit cards? Mine were cash only! 2) what are the 2 pickup day/times? You don’t want to win something just to find out you have to rake off work or just can’t make it! If so, much financial hardship happens

Back