5914 compound screw

mikemm

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have the dimensions or a drawing of this screw. I need to replace mine and I would like to attempt to make it. Mine is unusable as a reference as it has been previously welded and ground. I have a picture of one that sold recently on ebay and based on the 10 tpi acme, I can get pretty close dimensions using a scale. I would rater be exact especially on shoulder height, width and placement on shaft. Thanks.

I do not have an official drawing but could potentially pull mine and take some measurements if needed.

Thanks machPete99, I would really appreciate that. Before you pull yours to measure, lets wait a few days and see if anyone has the data. If nothing posts by like Friday, then I will be glad to get your dimensions. Going to take a few days to get the acme insert anyway.

BTW there is a guy on ebay that makes replacement cross feed and compound nuts, which I have bought. I probably have 10-12 thou of backlash with those. (no affiliation). Might be worthwhile to cut the thread to match a new nut...

Yes I know about him. Mixed feelings on that. I have a Logan 11 inch with almost no wear. The cross slide has around .003 backlash but the compound was oddly enough .020 backlash. I ordered a compound nut from the ebay guy and the backlash was reduced to .010 which still seemed high for a new nut. I told him about it and he said that is not bad for a used screw that is probably worn. I would believe it if that amount of backlash was in one area but it was the same amount of backlash across the entire screw. Not saying his was not sized correctly but I wasn't about to buy a new screw to test that theory. His tap might be slightly oversize.

Another thing is he uses 360 Brass and not 660 Bronze. So now I ordered a tap which cost more than the nut, going to get a piece of 660 and give it a go. Of course I will match the thread after I tap the nut.

I'm not familiar with your model of machine, but most lathes have an adjustment on the end float of the cross feed and compound feed screws themselves. On the cross feed, you should crank the cross slide off the end of the screw before adjusting the screw end float (although it doesn't sound as though that is an issue). Unfortunately on most lathes you can't do that with the compound slide but that should be checked as it is not possible to differentiate the two contributors to back lash other than by adjusting the screw end float.

Back