5C collet adapter removal Sheldon

righto88

Active User
Registered
I found an interesting post in the Sheldon user group on Yahoo about the 5C collet adapter removal. It starts with message 13968.
I have always just put my chuck on and never paid it any mind. I bought a 6 inche and 8 inche 3 jaw chuck for it about 6 years ago.
My dad who used the Sheldon lathe had 2 four jaw chucks and the collet adapter.

All this said I was wanting to put a center in the lathe to turn between centers. Well a number 5 morse center will not fit in the spendle
with the collet adapter in place. Rather than get the sledge hammer out and the cutting torch I searched the yahoo group. I was suprised to find
a topic on removing the collet adapter, and recent post as well. The message was posted in March of this year, 2013. Good thing I never wanted to turn between centers before.

This adapter had been in the lathe as long as I could remember and expected the worst. Dad had bought the lathe back in the 1990's.
Well this morning, after reading the horror, I was going to remove it.

CIMG1344.JPGCIMG1346.JPGCIMG1347.JPG

After I got it out I discovered it was a "home made" 5C adapter. I was looking thru my lathe "tool box" yesterday and found something I
wondered "what the heck is this?" Well it is the "real 5C adapter".

CIMG1355.JPG

I am glad the "home made" one was in the lathe as I would have had to make a puller for the other. I am going to make one as a "to do project" as if I need something else to do!

I hope this may be of help to other Sheldon owners. Now to get a "short" number 5 morse taper center!!!!
I got 3 #5 MT adapters but are too long! So I am going to have to get a "short" #5 MT center. I put the #5 MT to a #4 MT dead center in the headstock. I should have took a photo of that!

Oh, the hammer I am using was the hammer my Uncle Harold gave me when I was 12 years old. I was so happy. He gave me a yankee screw driver,
key hole saw, coping saw and that hammer. He gave the tools to me for my just built "wooden tool box". I am sure he felt sorry for me as
I had this tool box and nothing to put in it.

John

CIMG1344.JPG CIMG1346.JPG CIMG1347.JPG CIMG1355.JPG

I found an interesting post in the Sheldon user group on Yahoo about the 5C collet adapter removal. It starts with message 13968.
I have always just put my chuck on and never paid it any mind. I bought a 6 inche and 8 inche 3 jaw chuck for it about 6 years ago.
My dad who used the Sheldon lathe had 2 four jaw chucks and the collet adapter.

All this said I was wanting to put a center in the lathe to turn between centers. Well a number 5 morse center will not fit in the spendle
with the collet adapter in place. Rather than get the sledge hammer out and the cutting torch I searched the yahoo group. I was suprised to find
a topic on removing the collet adapter, and recent post as well. The message was posted in March of this year, 2013. Good thing I never wanted to turn between centers before.

This adapter had been in the lathe as long as I could remember and expected the worst. Dad had bought the lathe back in the 1990's.
Well this morning, after reading the horror, I was going to remove it.

View attachment 57664View attachment 57665View attachment 57666

After I got it out I discovered it was a "home made" 5C adapter. I was looking thru my lathe "tool box" yesterday and found something I
wondered "what the heck is this?" Well it is the "real 5C adapter".

View attachment 57667

I am glad the "home made" one was in the lathe as I would have had to make a puller for the other. I am going to make one as a "to do project" as if I need something else to do!

I hope this may be of help to other Sheldon owners. Now to get a "short" number 5 morse taper center!!!!
I got 3 #5 MT adapters but are too long! So I am going to have to get a "short" #5 MT center. I put the #5 MT to a #4 MT dead center in the headstock. I should have took a photo of that!

Oh, the hammer I am using was the hammer my Uncle Harold gave me when I was 12 years old. I was so happy. He gave me a yankee screw driver,
key hole saw, coping saw and that hammer. He gave the tools to me for my just built "wooden tool box". I am sure he felt sorry for me as
I had this tool box and nothing to put in it.

John
You could always turn straight shank dead center to go in a collet so you don't have to remove the collet adaptor for center turning.
Ed P

What would have been wrong with using a knockout bar from the back end of the spindle? On most lathes there is a threaded ring (thread protector) for use when using the collets, and the adaptor is flanged to match the ring's diameter; with a spanner, you simply unthread the ring, and the adaptor is withdrawn from the spindle taper bore.

Back