5c collet set

woodrowm

Active User
Registered
Good morning - Hey does anyone have or have used the 5c Collet set that is sold by Quality Machine Tool, if so what is your opinion on the set?

Thanks,
Woodrow

The threads on most Chinese collets are not sized very well, and require a bit of effort to draw them in. I don't usually recommend Ebay, but a used set of US branded collets would do you better in my opinion. Unless the collets were used in a production machine, they don't wear out, unless someone ran a cutter into them.

If Matt sends you a set that doesn't work, or are otherwise defective, he will replace them.

If you still have questions about them, why not write an email to Matt?

Good tools aren't cheap and cheap tools aren't good . Take it for what it's worth .

I have them. They are my first 5c collets so I have nothing to compare them to but I have used several of them and am satisfied.
No problems with the threads on mine.
Same here. My suggestion is to buy a set and for those sizes you use the most, invest in higher quality collets. Spend your money on higher quality tooling you actually use.

Just curious, but if a collet has decent threads such that it compresses and releases properly, and meets my needs for tolerances, just what am I investing in "higher quality collets" for exactly? Tool life?

I have found that the cheaper collets move in and out more freely than the expensive ones. I have both and I use the Chinese ones most of the time.

I have found that the clamping range on 5C's are quite narrow and it's almost imperative to have the whole set.

While I don't have Matt's, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them from him. I think he sells his with a stand/holder doesn't he? That is a necessity to store them all.

BTW, the vast majority of 5C's are now Asian. I did a pretty in depth look see a few months back and discovered that some branded as made in USA are really not. As an example, I think I remember that Ajax sells some that are provided by an American supplier and advertised as made in the USA. But when you dig deeper, they get them from China via Canada! Maritool gets theirs from Asia and will tell you upfront that they sell them just to have them for the few customers that ask for them.

I have a few Hardinge 5C's, and have a 1/64" stepped set from CDCO on my Grizzly and a 1/32" stepped set on my Clausing. I haven't used all of the collets so can't speak to all of them, but have not had any issues with the Chinese ones. The threads inside and out have been fine. The few I checked for accuracy were at 0.0002" which may have partially been my 5MT to 5C adapter.

I'm pretty much self-taught and might be missing something, but haven't noticed any difference in use between the Hardinge and the CDCO collets. I'm not a production shop so maybe the Hardinge can take more use and abuse, but I don't abuse my stuff. If I break it, I have to fix it.

I haven't used any collets from Matt, but if they're priced in the ball park of the Chinese ones from CDCO or Shars, he's probably getting them from an Asian importer also. He has a great rep for standing by his products, so you will end up with a good set if there are some issues with a few of them.

Bruce

Here's a side by side of two 3/4" 5C's - a cheap CDCO and a relatively expensive Lyndex. CDCO are Chinese and Lyndex/Nikken are Japanese.

I have the full set by 1/64's from CDCO. They are usable and they do get a lot of use. But the threading on them is rough as a cob and the etched markings on the collets are disappearing with use. I know some folks who had good luck of the draw with CDCO but I didn't. If I had it to do over again I would buy from Matt instead.

The Lyndex are top shelf and the markings are engraved. The threading is very nice and overall they are well made. I have a set of Lyndex by 1/16's. My goal is to have a set by 1/32's at least. Downside is the Lyndex are much harder to pull into the 5C chuck. I assume they are made to the "spec" and therefore quite tight.

BTW, if you buy a 5C collet from McMaster you will likely receive a Lyndex/Nikken.

CDCO on left and Lyndex on the right:
5c compare.jpg

5c compare1 .jpg

Back