5C collet to MT

Zeb123

Registered
Registered
So , the spindle is made to accept 5C collets. What is the MT size for a center? I have read that SB used a special taper and some say not, I am confused.

What kind of machine are you talking about?

It is a proprietary taper. Essentially, it is a large MT3 - it has the MT3 taper, but it's large end is around 1.628"

OK I thought I had saw that. I THINK I saw somewhere a part number from Grizzly for and adaptor, but sadly I cannot seem to find it now.

I found the part number from Grizzly P97302912, if anyone needs it.

This does not work on my lathe. I have the large bore if that makes any difference.

This does not work on my lathe. I have the large bore if that makes any difference.

You're not making sense. You're assuming that we have the same information that you do - we don't. What does not work on your lathe? Post pictures. As for the large bore, in the new era (1941 - ), the 13" only had a large bore (1⅜").

Grizzly P97302912 . According to another thread I found on another site this part is supposed to go from the SB taper to MT3. It does not work, on my lathe anyway. According to Grizzly this an MT 41/2 X MT3. This adaptor falls completely into my spindle past the taper. I was not aware that after 1941 SB only made the large bore on the 13" lathe. Please excuse my ignorance.

Ignorance can be fixed. Are you looking for one of these?

Spindle Sleeve for MT#3.jpg

Spindle Sleeve for MT#3.jpg

I ask, because this thread started out looking for 5C adapters. If you're looking tor this, I made some earlier this year. I might have some sitting around in the shop in various stages of completion. I build them with either MT3 or MT2 tapers.

Back