5C Collets -- good ones vs. bad ones

billooms

Active User
Registered
Sorry for posting this question again. I've seen some threads that mention good vs. bad quality 5C collets, but I've been unable to find those threads by searching.

I'm biting the bullet and buying a Bison 5C chuck for my Grizzly G0750G lathe. I can't afford sets of Bison collets, so I'll have to settle for lower quality for now. I would appreciate comments on the quality of various collets:

CDCO
Shars
Discount Machine on eBay (same as Shars?)
Quality Machine Tools (QMT)
Enco (Lyndex or Interstate)
Any others?

If you have experience with any of the above, would you say "Never again", "Sure thing", "Hit or Miss".

Thanks,
Bill

I reckon I'm not as picky and my need for precision isn't as great as some, but I've had generally good results with 5C collets of all "quality" ranges. Certainly, some of the imports aren't sprung open nicely like the Hardinge collets, and don't work as smoothly.

The only really bad one I bought new was a new Lyndex (English made, if I recall) from Enco. It had an obscene amount of runout, like .015" or so. A phone call to Enco took care of that problem. . .

Virtually all of the suppliers you mentioned are importers who get their products from several manufacturers in China. Very possibly there's only 1-2 manufacturers making those and they put any lable on it as requested by the importer.

Yes, Shars = Discount Machine. I bought most of my collets from Shars and had no problems at all. I purchased some expensive ones with hex holes from Tavers and the slots were way too narrow.

NOTE: It was recently mentioned in another post that it's OK to remove the spindle alignment pin in R8 tooling. Don't remove the spindle pin for 5C tooling as most 5C mechanisms do not have a double-nut drawbar mechanism.

Ray

Sorry for posting this question again. I've seen some threads that mention good vs. bad quality 5C collets, but I've been unable to find those threads by searching.

I'm biting the bullet and buying a Bison 5C chuck for my Grizzly G0750G lathe. I can't afford sets of Bison collets, so I'll have to settle for lower quality for now. I would appreciate comments on the quality of various collets:

CDCO
Shars
Discount Machine on eBay (same as Shars?)
Quality Machine Tools (QMT)
Enco (Lyndex or Interstate)
Any others?

If you have experience with any of the above, would you say "Never again", "Sure thing", "Hit or Miss".

Thanks,
Bill

I think Frank Ford is right. Most 5c collets are all a home shop machinist needs. That said I think Hardinge is the top of the line.
jimsehr

I reckon I'm not as picky and my need for precision isn't as great as some, but I've had generally good results with 5C collets of all "quality" ranges. Certainly, some of the imports aren't sprung open nicely like the Hardinge collets, and don't work as smoothly.

The only really bad one I bought new was a new Lyndex (English made, if I recall) from Enco. It had an obscene amount of runout, like .015" or so. A phone call to Enco took care of that problem. . .

That .015 run out makes one wonder were Quality Control was that day, ouch.

the place I get all my stub drills from, for you guys, shows them in their book as "precission 5C collets" I believe they are usa made as the catalog does not say "econo". they run about $8.50 each or so. . . . just sayin'
I don't know if that's hi test as far as cost go, but as far a quality goes, I have heard no complaints except when I ship the wrong items to somebody :nono:

I believe I got my 5c's from CDCO. Runout doesn't go over .001 on any of them. Any more runout than that and you might as well use a three jaw.

I have had good luck over the last 20 plus years with everything I have boughten from MSC corporation. Call 1-800-645-7270 and ask for a catalog. I have never been disappointed and they have a price range of all tooling so you should be able to find something in your price range. Good Luck.

the place I get all my stub drills from, for you guys, shows them in their book as "precission 5C collets" I believe they are usa made as the catalog does not say "econo". they run about $8.50 each or so. . . . just sayin'
I don't know if that's hi test as far as cost go, but as far a quality goes, I have heard no complaints except when I ship the wrong items to somebody :nono:

Does this "place" ya get your drills from have a 11/32" 5C hex collet? $8.50 or even $15 sounds reasonable to me

Back