5C spindle adapter Sheldon UM-56-P 13" swing

This is all very good information to know. Thanks for all the help so far guys! Looks like I might have to do this one with a pair of indicators after all! Ken, if you do end up redrawing it, would you mind posting it here again? Please and thank you.

Recently I made a collet adapter for my Heavy 10. I wanted to use 1J collets instead of 5C. Why? because I got a full set for free.
I used a chunk of pre hardened 4140.
First I used a 10ths reading test indicator to set the compound at the angle of the far side of the spindle taper.
Mounted my stock in the 4 jaw chuck and indicated in fairly close. My 4 jaw is in better shape and has deeper jaws than my 3 jaw.
Rough turned the OD to a bit larger than the large end of the spindle opening.
Drill and bored the ID to 1.2505 so the back end of the collets was a close sliding fit.
Used the compound to turn the OD taper to match the spindle.
Part off
Set the compound to the angle of the 5C taper (20 degree included I think)
I did this by mounting a straight piece of stock (I used a 1/2 diameter transfer punch) in the 4 jaw, indicate in.
Put a hose clamp on OD of collet near taper.
Slide collet onto stock (threaded end first) and tighten clamp.
Mount dial indicator so it touches side of collet taper and adjust compound for zero indicator motion.
Remove chuck and mount your workpiece directly into the spindle.
Check runout of bore. Should be well less than 0.001 inch.
Bore taper for 5 c collet with compound.
Enjoy your new capability.

Those adapters are going higher all the time. Saw a couple today one was $113.00 @ $125.00. I lucked out about two months ago and bought tool lot one was in there and I only had to spend $25.00. Pure luck of looking beyond the junk to see the taper on the pipe and the big lip. They are hard to find the same one will fit several different lathes.

I was fortunate, mine came with my Sheldon lathe when I bought it over 38 years ago. Royal will make you one if a person is interested in buying one. The cost is probably around $250-300! Just for the spindle adapter. JFK may even offer one too.

So I stoned and polished my MT5 dead center today, slid it into the spindle and I now notice a much tighter fit. I'd say it feels like an MT5 "locking taper" fit to me. And frankly, for the line of work I do, that'll be fine. I actually want to utilize 5C collets for turning vulcanite pipe stems, as pipe carving is my second hobby. Making a lot of these in one sitting would be much nicer with a collet setup. Thanks for all the advice so far gentlemen. I'll keep you posted with what I'm able to come up with. Perhaps some pictures to follow.

Here's my drawing for the collet adapter I have on hand.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/collet-adatper.3228/

5C Collet Adapter with the "4-3/4" Morse taper.

This is for all the older R series lathes with 1-7/16 or 1-1/2 spindle bores with either L-00 or 2.375-8 spindle nose. For most Sheldon lathes made before serial umber 26000 give or take. Will not work with the later R series lathes with 2-1/4 spindle bores.

Dimensions were very accurately measured and recorded as drawn. The dimensions for the 5C collet register were taken from a Hardinge Brothers drawing from the internet.

Ken

Thanks. I edited the title slightly.

BTW, how did you come out during/after Harvey.

Thanks Robert. I know the fiasco you went thru to straighten out the down load section.
I came out better than most. A few missing shingles and a few other things. Im aggravated my insurance company will not give me a new roof!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ken, thanks a lot for posting that drawing. I just finished the taper side of the adapter and it fit like a glove! Absolutely perfect locking fit. I just have to bore and finish it now in the spindle which might be easier said than done. I made this out of the only piece large enough I had on hand which happened to be 304L Stainless... If the drilling and boring goes as well as the turning, I'll be turning in my collets in no time.

Well, I finished the adapter. Works like a charm. It locks in rock solid and I'm finishing up the drawbar now. This was made out of 304L SS. Thanks for all the advice! I ended up turning the taper between ball bearings using the boring head trick. The reference taper was my MT5 dead center. I hope this image uploads. IMAG0598.jpg

Back