5C Step Collet Collars

Interesting photo Jim, I noticed the work piece doesn't butt up against the shoulder. Does that affect the work perpendicularity or isn't it required in that operation.

I want to use these types of collets to try to make some brass end caps for rod tubes.

Last edited:
Something I've noticed with step collets is that many of them have several ID's at different depths. Typically the smaller ID will be the deepest the next biggest will be a little shallower etc etc. Is there a reason other than different size work pieces to be held in the same collet? Or have I overlooked some basic reason?

Here's an example

s-l225.jpg

Something I've noticed with step collets is that many of them have several ID's at different depths. Typically the smaller ID will be the deepest the next biggest will be a little shallower etc etc. Is there a reason other than different size work pieces to be held in the same collet? Or have I overlooked some basic reason?

Here's an example

View attachment 259768
Most of these step collets have been used more than once . You bore one for job on hand. Then when you have another job you can bore it larger and reuse it again and again. You can also put them on the mill and machine any shape you have like square ,hex, etc. you can bore off center and turn excentric parts like cams.

Last edited:
Back